1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever tell people to build up their confidence?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Devil Dave, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had times in my life where I have struggled with my confidence, and if somebody were to tell me "you need to build up your confidence" I would find it quite hurtful. A bit like telling somebody to lose weight when they are struggling with their weight. How do you know the person is not slimmer now than they were some time ago before you ever met them?

I think it's a bit like that with confidence issues. I've had people telling me to build up my confidence when I've already made huge changes to my life and how I think and feel about things, and I've overcome a lot of negative opinions I used to have about myself. So, if you don't like how unconfident I seem now, then you really wouldn't have liked me a couple of years ago.

I know it's often well-intended if somebody says you need more confidence, because they are trying to help you achieve things that you are lacking. But it's the fact they are drawing attention to what you are lacking that hurts your confidence further. It's judgemental. And people don't like being judged.

Although it might be helpful to hear it in certain situations from certain people.

Have you ever been told things that affect your confidence?

simple boy likes this.
  2. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

You mean like when people are stating the obvious, I think I know what you mean. It can definitely be counterproductive sometimes. On the other hand I hate it when people clearly have some kind of issue with me or dislike something about me and don't tell me what their problem is (because if I don't know what the problem is I can't fix it.)

#2 fadedstar, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
    simple boy likes this.
  3. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like hearing people talk negatively about themselves, but I'm not good with pep talks so I won't try to correct them or give them advice, I will just let them speak their mind and get it off their chest. Usually that's what I'm doing if I talk about myself in a negative light, I'm just opening up about myself and not because I want someone to make me feel better, I just want someone to listen. Talking about it does make me feel better, but hearing someone fob me off with words of encouragement does not. That's why I normally find it presumptuous if someone tells me to build up my confidence.

4. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

I feel the same way about "words of encouragement", it can definitely come off as a bit condescending at times.

There is a similar thing that happens to me when I try to make light of myself or joke about myself (my way of dealing with issues in my life sometimes) and people tell me I shouldn't be so hard on myself and that I should just try and be more "positive"... I really hate that.

#4 fadedstar, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2017
  5. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Making fun of yourself is positive. It shows humility, I think. It doesn't mean you think badly of yourself, it means you don't think too highly of yourself and don't take yourself too seriously. If you're seeing the humor in things that might otherwise get you down in your day to day life, then that's hardly being "negative".