1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you drink using a straw at restaurants?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Gen

Gen

Some people really have it out for straws in here.

It is partially a cultural thing. From travel experiences, I've noticed that the southern states of America tend to be more impartial to the use of straws in restaurants, while it would be a rarity to find an establishment on either of the coastal states that didn't automatically offer them.

I don't really see why anyone would be that bothered with them either way; they aren't exactly the most convoluted of contraptions. In practice, it would actually take more effort to finish a drink without a straw than with, as a result of gravity.
    This too. Not to mention, chewing on ice is a very bad habit.

2. TraceElement

At sit down restaraunts, if they bring me a straw, I will use it. If they don't bring one, I don't bother. If I get a cold drink from a fast food place, I will use a straw. At home and work I never use straws.

3. thesharkamander

Yeah, I use a straw.
    It just feels weird to me if I don't...?

4. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yup much hate for straws apparently. Wonder if there's some freudian internalized strawphobia going on (only half-joking here).

Apparently using a straw to drink sugary/acid (i.e. cola/pop) drinks is better for your teeth as the beverage doesn't swish around your mouth as much.

I don't go out of my way to find straws but will usually use them with takeout/fast food drinks in the plastic cups with lids.

5. kem

kem

Hmm, beer with a straw does sound funny when you mention it. I don't really drink beer so I wouldn't know! I get strange looks anyway ("Oh look! It's Harry Potter") so I'd drink my Sol or Kriek Lambic and not give a flop. Gin-and-tonics and Cuba Libres are my usuals though, so it's not so odd to enjoy them through a straw.

6. 2Lee

I'll take the straw out of my drink if they give me one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Envira

i only use straws with bubbly drinks.... is that weird?

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, using a straw is good because you minimize the amount of time the drink (which is carbonated and thus very acidic) is in contact with your teeth.

I use a straw if its offered. I have kind of sensitive teeth, and most of the time restaurants pack the drinks full of ice, which makes drinking from the glass a challenge.

9. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i always use a straw. i just prefer it.

10. Minamimoto_Fan

I use both, just depends on my mood

11. Nikky DoUrden

omg I thought about it as well !!!
    you can also put the straw on your tongue so it doesnt touch the teeth at all.
    no more teeth problems yay (!)

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Depends on what I am drinking. Alcoholic beverages I generally would not use a straw, I wouldn't drink an Appletini or a Cosmopolitan out of a straw. Though there are exceptions, I use a straw to drink White Russians.

If I'm not having a drink drink, then generally the only thing I drink is water. If I were drinking soda I would probably use a straw, but I don't often drink soda.

Drinking with a straw is much better for your teeth if you're drinking dark beverages like cola or coffee. I always drink my iced coffees and lattes using a straw. Using a straw allows you drink the coffee or soda while bypassing your teeth, whereas drinking straight out of the cup will stain and erode your teeth.

So if you want to maintain good dental hygiene while still enjoying coffee or soda, use a straw.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drinking hot black coffee out of a straw would probably a) hurt a lot, and b) get you some very strange looks. :lol:

14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Haha well I've done it, my dentist has recommended that I do it, and it hasn't really gotten me any strange looks.

Obviously you wouldn't drink burning hot coffee through a straw, but then you wouldn't drink burning hot coffee direct from the cup either or it would hurt and burn your mouth. I like my coffee hot, but not burning hot. When it's too hot you don't even taste the flavor of the coffee any way. I don't mind actually drinking my coffee at a lukewarm temperature, so I can taste the full flavor rather than just burn my tongue and the roof of my mouth.

As a daily coffee (and tea) drinker, I had some really bad nasty brown stains on my teeth last year. Besides adopting a much more thorough dental hygiene routine, I made minor adjustments to how I consume my coffee and tea, and now my teeth are shining pearly white. :icon_mrgr

I generally prefer iced coffee beverages any way.

In the morning, instead of a regular cup of hot coffee, I make a yummy smoothie of chocolate soymilk, chocolate Instant Breakfast powder, and two scoops of Maxwell House instant coffee, gives me my caffeine and some nutrients easily slurped down with a straw. In fact I tend to drink it all down rather quickly, I think a straw allows you to drink your beverage more rapidly than by sipping the cup. (In the mornings when I'm getting ready for work, this helps save time!)

15. itsonlyrelative

For me it depends on the formality of the restaurant. If the restaurant is more fancy then I don't drink from a straw. If it is causal I drink from a straw.

16. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I almost always use a straw. It just seems more sanitary to me.

17. BadWolf5

I do cause without one I accidently make annoying slurping noises