Do you claim a religion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ABeautifulMind, Jul 10, 2014.

1. ABeautifulMind

Well, I find it especially interesting once you learn a little about each, to compare. That was something that I liked about Bahai.

I actually considered converting. Of course this was before I left Christianity. But the reason I almost converted was because this to me explained the reason behind EVERY religion having the exact same immaculate conception of a messiah/prophet/son who walked around performing miracles, lived 33 years, and eventually died or was killed.

So back when I was a nearly brainwashed devout Christian, I nearly converted. Man I remember when my parents wouldnt let me listen to any music besides Christian. And not even the decent Christian music. The boring hymn or contemporary Christian music. No Christian rock. Oh and DEFINITELY no Creed. They were secular, and trying to bring Christians to the devils side. I will be honest the music really irritated me. It sucks going to public school and not being allowed to keep up in such a major part or pop culture. This is what I was taught.

That's why I have not come out to my parents. I think it is a valid justification.

P.S. I wasnt allowed to watch "The Simpsons" until I was 18. Dont get me wrong, I did. But had they known I would have been grounded for quite a while.

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I do not claim a religion.

Carry on.

3. Jenna0780

Wow, that sounds very strict.. LOL. I was raised Catholic, but I suppose my parents saw my skepticism with it from a very early age, when I was always questioning it. It just didn't quite fit for me, and since I've always had a sort of connection to nature and animals, my parents say it's no wonder I turned toward animism.

My parents have always been rather accepting and always let both my sister and I discover things for ourselves. As far as music, I stuck to 70's and 80's rock, while my sister went more toward pop.

Part of me wonders though, if my mother always gave us that slack to discover who we are, because she struggled so much with it. The night that I told her I was bisexual (which was the same night I found the word for what I felt) was the same night she told me she was transgender. She was my biological father, and now she's my second mother.

4. lowkey

lowkey Guest

I recommend, 'Something from nothing' by Richard Kraus, located ina library or youtube video. although again, you are not a physicist. so understanding it at a level of a physicist is unlikely. you base your knowledge on common sense it seems

5. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Religion threads are growing :lol:.

I am a Muslim :slight_smile:, If I had 1% doubt of Allah's (swt) existence I'd leave my religion but I don't :slight_smile:.

6. BreezyB

The religion I claim is Judaism. Most of the Jews I've met (unless orthodox) don't care about sexuality they care if you're a good person at heart and what you do to better mankind

7. Anna Bites

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm Agnostic, but my family is Catholic. They think I'm straight and Catholic.

8. WorldWalker

If I were to label my spiritual beliefs, I would consider myself Buddhist. :slight_smile: I have never felt conflicted on a spiritual level about my sexuality.

9. ABeautifulMind

Sorry for the double post.

Firstly, multiverse. Completely agree. Know why? Because I studied Physics lol. Blackholes. Gravity distorts time and space. Meaning under the "singularity" style gravity of a blackhole, an entire universe could be distorted in such a manner that it would fit in the finite (though still VERY large) interior of a black hole. I have even studied how black holes are formed which has led me to a few personal ideas as far as the big bang, though I am no Einstein so I doubt I would ever be able to test my hypothesis. But I still think it is interesting to see.

It is too hard for me to understand? That is an understatement. It is too hard for the whole of the scientific community to understand. Hell even my hero Stephen Hawking cant grasp it.

Furthermore, a few of those things I mentioned, ARE FULLY DEVELOPED. What I mean is that we have completely developed the math behind it and can simulate it using super computers. But here is the thing. What makes it tick?

Another example. electrodynamics. This field has been fully developed since Maxwell added the correction term in Ampere's Law. HOWEVER when an electric charge (electron) moves, it produces a magnetic field found by the curl of the electric field. In other words the magnetic field will rotate around it. So with an electric wire for instance, will have a magnetic field traveling around it when the current is turned on. How though? there is no such thing (we have not found it and the most brilliant minds are actively searching, including Hawking) as a magnetic monopole. Basically the magnetic version of an electron. A magnetic "charge" if you will. As far as we have seen their is no tangible "particle" or hell "thing" that the electron is manipulating.

Now like I said before, this doesnt prove their is a ID (from now on ID=Intelligent Designer) by any stretch. However to me it casts a certain amount of doubt. Minute as it may be. Now I admit it is not as though I actively worship or anything. I dont have enough faith in it lol. But I believe in things I can see (ironic arguement I know) and right now, I dont see an answer to this. Granted I dont see an ID either, but Agnostics dont say their definitely is an ID. It just doesnt completely rule one out.

I really hope you see my point. I am not being "lazy" (Ad hominem arguments anyone?) I am simply pointing out that even in fields where we have completely mapped out the concept, their are things we just cant explain. In alot of fields really. Look up Bose Einstein condensates. That concept will blow your mind. And you know, I have a professor (PhD. who is published and has a specialty in quantum chromodynamics) who personally loves cosmology because she believes it is where "religion," or God, and science meet.

Now I know you like to use appeals to emotion, especially with ridicule, but that is not necessary. This is not meant to be an indoctrination or conversion thread. There is no need argue against other beliefs by presenting them in a way that they appear ridiculous. See "tooth fairy," "santa claus," or "teapot is God." It is clear through your language you have NO way to disprove what I am saying, and are therefore trying to discredit my beliefs by speaking of them in a condescending manner. This is called a logical fallacy, more specifically an Appeal to Ridicule. If you want a debate I am more than willing, and more than qualified. However I am not going to participate if your version of debating is what I have seen thus far. Try next time to present arguments and postulates without simply reverting to name calling (ad hominem), or Appeal to Ridicule. Its rude and really isnt helping you. At least not in my opinion. Everything I have presented is fact. Your version of debate has been using loosely related metaphors with ridiculous notions in an attempt to discredit what I have said. I mean, simply because you cant see a teapot it is God? really? Well you cant see my, therefore I must be the equivalent of a God to you. Bow before me :wink:

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2014 at 11:57 AM ----------

I actually graduate in december with a BS in Math and a BS in Physics. Not to mention my specialty in math is Applied Mathematics (VERY Physics friendly/applicable). Plus next semester, my last, I am only taking math courses. In other words I have taken all required Physics courses. I actually did my Physics major research on the electrical properties and applications of graphene. Ever heard of Dirac massless particle? Yea, I know Physics. Not the whole of it clearly, but enough to argue/explain what I am saying.

I havent heard of that book but ill look it up and get a synopsis. I doubt I have time to read a book, and if I did, I wouldnt want to. This is my summer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I read enough during school. My common sense is weak at best. Though I have also taken 2 courses on ethics which involved covering different argument, logic, and fallacy types.

On a side note:

What is animism? I feel like I have heard the term, but I cant seem to remember, and rather than look it up, I usually prefer to hear about things like that from a practicing member.

Also, I lean towards classic rock too, my only two "heros" in this world are Stephen Hawking, and Roger Waters. I love Led Zep, but HATE Robert Plant lol. I went to one of his concerts expecting to get the Led out, and he played only one of their old songs, the rest his new crap.

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2014 at 11:59 AM ----------

@ the_prince: Can you describe Islamic beliefs in your own words a little bit? and what is the (swt) for?

I have always found the Islamic faith very interesting. I have only had the opportunity to speak with one muslim before though.

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2014 at 12:01 PM ----------

Damn multi posts lol,

I have a God lowkey believes in!!!!!!

The Higg's Boson :thumbsup:

10. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm soooo bored of answering this question over and over.

Happy days :slight_smile:

11. JamJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm "christened", auite recently actually, only reason we all got baptised was so my older sibling could be god parents for our nieces. It's quite controversial whether God (if there is one) believes homosexuality is right or wrong, I'm not too bothered at the moment to delve into all the arguments relating to this.

12. Jenna0780

Basically, animism is the belief that all objects, plants, and animals have spirits and/or souls. It's a very broad term, which is actually inclusive of Buddhism, paganism, Shinto, but it really puts more emphasis on the individual soul of a person, animal, or object.

I, too, adore Stephen Hawking. He's the only thing that keeps me going back and forth between my current Aerospace Engineering major, or an Astrophysics major. He's positively brilliant.

And Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, but it's because I'm in love with Jimmy Page, not Robert Plant (yuck).

#32 Jenna0780, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  13. ABeautifulMind

YES a fellow fan of the Hawk man. In all seriousness though, he is a boss.

Hmm... scientist with a belief in spirits/souls. Absolutely brilliant. Now that is a diverse individual we have right here.

Ever considered that maybe something like the energy binding them together could be the "soul." You know, like the energy of the valent/covalent bonds within the entity. Energy is something that is definitely inside everything.

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2014 at 03:49 PM ----------

Whoa, astrophysics :O

You realize that is dense stuff right? I mean I like some pretty dense stuff too, but my appreciation/curiosity of physics usually ends around relativity and subatomic physics. Basically two of the biggest concepts in astrophysics. That shit makes my brain melt. I mean, the idea that space and time are simply names we gave to physical/tangible materials. Im like, WHAT?! nah, I prefer the physics going up to quantum mechanics. I stay away from particle, astro, relativity, etc. Just dont like Physics enough I suppose. Although I was a math student first and foremost, I just added Physics because I could.

14. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. Although I'm not as good of a humanist as I'd like to be, I still have too much anger toward my species. But I try.

15. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes islam bc it supports the lgbt community it doesn't put them down :slight_smile: