1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe that churches have a right to refuse marrying a same-sex couple?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WallWeed, Jun 26, 2015.

?

Do churches have a right to refuse to marry a gay couple?

1. Yes

92 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. Other (care to elaborate?)

14 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't bother me in the least if they refuse to; though I'm curious: Do they have to marry interracial couples? It would seem pretty hypocritical if they had to perform the one, but not the other, but then again, I'm no fan of most churches in any event.

That, and with church attendance declining, and there being fewer and fewer religious affiliated people in the US each year, hopefully, it will be less and less of an issue.

Yes, I do recognize there are some more liberal, open-minded churches, temples, &c; hopefully more and more of the fire and brimstone types will stop living in some distant past.

2. MetalRice

Sure, they can be stupid if they want.

3. Dakeli27

I believe that they should not be compelled by law, but very strongly believe all churches should perform gay marriages. While I think that gay people staying in a homophobic church is kind of like an abusive relationship, if they choose to stay, the church should be appreciative of their conviction and be grateful that despite the hostility, this person believes in the church strongly enough to still want to be a part of it.

4. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Yes. We have religious freedom for a reason. I understand that there are LGBT people who are religious and would like a religious ceremony, but if they go to a church which refuses, it is the churches right. Beside, marriage isn't a religious institution anyway. Some people think it is, but even if you get married in a church, you still have to go to the court house for you license.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! They have to I don't care what the bible says! A piece of paper isn't going to be stopping me from marrying wherever I want!