1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in bisexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by cxx16, Nov 23, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't matter if you believe in bisexuality or not, it exists and is no different than any other sexuality.

2. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, it's real and I certainly believe in it. Never experienced feeling that way personally, but it's out there.

I hear there's been studies on it too, but any study to do with sexuality you should be advised to take with a grain of salt and perhaps some patience too.

3. vinylcountdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly I didn't for a long time. Its hard to fathom being attracted equally to both genders sometimes.

But after becoming close friends with several bisexuals I have no doubt in my mind that it is legit.

4. QBear

I want point out that you can be legitimately bisexual and not be completely equally attracted to both genders or sexes. You can be legitimately bisexual and be 40/60 split or even 30/70 split. (much below that, though, and I think it becomes more of a heteroflexible or homoflexible thing.)

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Are there honestly people out there who don't believe in Bisexuality? What the hell? :/ Is that even a thing?

Of course I believe in it, because it's real.
    Just like straight and gay are real.
    I can't fathom how a person could only be attracted to one gender and never even consider the other, but I still know that gay and straight are real. :/

I'm sorry if this came across a little harsh, but I am genuinely confused, I've never heard of anyone not believing in Bisexuality in my life.

6. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe in bisexuality. I am myself. Maybe you have some curiosity and don't feel bad about it. We are all different. I knew very young (3-4) both sexes were cute. My attraction has always been the person first and the sexuality part of it with either sex has always felt normal and have not questioned.

7. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I definitely believe in bisexuality, although I feel like it seems to be much more common in women. I think most people think that bisexuality means you have to be equally attracted to both sexes, which isn't always the case.

Also, I think sometimes people confuse sexual orientation with sexual preference. Bisexuals can be attracted to both sexes but PREFER sex or a relationship with one sex more than the other. Growing up I've felt this way.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It seems that it's my orientation, so I have to believe on it.

You could say the word bisexual is a life saver for some of us.

9. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Attraction to people of one gender does not disprove attraction towards people of the other.

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2015 at 06:20 PM ----------

And also regardless of labels, what you feel is real. If you find a guy cute, you do. If you find a girl cute, you do.

10. Distant Echo

Ok. First guy. You knew he had a gf. You chose to be in a fwb with him. But when you found he had a wife and kids, that was different. So it was ok for him to cheat on a gf but not on a wife?

Second guy? Well, bad luck. You apparently were not who he was looking for. He didn't decide that one day. He was struggling with it for a long time.

As for feeling sorry for the wives and kids of bisexuals because their lives have been a lie? That their husbands were only half interested. Um. Yeah. No. A bisexual can love male or female, their lives with whoever they are with are not a lie. By your thinking, all relationships are a lie because we are all capable of loving someone else. Oh, and women can be bi too.

The people I feel sorry for are those who find they are gay/lesbian and cannot continue their lives with their SO. For their families whose lives change so much.

I identified as bi for years. I thought I must be bi, I have kids but I fell for a woman. I didn't cheat on a husband or partner because I was single when I met her. But I couldn't accept that I could be lesbian. I have kids.
    It's only recently that I've discovered that I am lesbian. As a bi woman, I could maintain a relationship with a man. As a lesbian, I cannot. It has ripped my life apart.

Being bi does not make a person untrustworthy, incapable of fully loving another, half-interested in who they are with or more likely to cheat than a straight person.

You need to rethink your ideas.

11. QBear

Well said. Thank you!
    And, I'm sorry for all the hurt you've been through on your coming out journey. (*hug*)

12. Manix

Manix Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Oh yeah. But I'll say no if there's a better prize.

13. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hummm, lets have a look here...

"i was FWB with a guy who had a GF" then found out he had a wife and kids. and your shocked that a guy who would cheat would lie....

FWB with another guy who turned out to be more interested in a wife and kids..... hey we all find our paths differently, it happens. would it have been better if he left for another guy and adopted a kid?

"So whether I agree with it or not BISEXUALITY does exist." son, your agreement is not required for my sexuality or anyone elses either, thank you very much.

sympathy for wives and kids, well marriages break up for lots of reasons and it isn't easier or harder because of sexuality.

Sympathy for gays who get in relationships with Bi's because they are only "half intereste" in the boy friend. if some one is only half interesed that's a personality or interpersonal thing not an orientation thing. for the record, Bi means being able to be attracted to more than just one gender, not that you will be attracted to both at the same time or cannot be monagmous (sp?) with one person.

"I don't feel sorry for the bisexual because they can be gay whatever is convienent" it is not convient, it is who we are! just as no one chooses to be gay or lesbian or trans, or pan or what ever colour of the rainbow you happen to be; no one chooses to be a person who gets this kind of negativity from both the straight world and from people within the LGBT community as illustrated by this post.

14. schwab22

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As a bisexual man, I can assure you it is a real thing. I will tell you what has worked for me to help me be sure of my sexuality. For me I have dated exclusively women up to this point in my life and so I know full well that I am attracted to and could have a successful relationship with a woman. So I knew I was bisexual, but I wasn't sure if I was heteroromantic or biromantic since I had never dated a guy before. So I got on a dating site and started meeting bi and gay guys. After having a relationship with a guy (which I am still trying to get over) I know fully well that I am both physically and romantically attracted to men and women. If I were you I would test the waters a bit, dip your toe into dating women and if it doesn't feel right then maybe your attraction to them is purely physical or maybe you are just bicurious. If you aren't ready for sex, don't even worry about it. Just with dating and normal physical affection (kissing, cuddling, holding hands etc.) you can tell how you feel about things. I guess more than anything I just want to say that exploring your sexuality can be very scary and intimidating at first, because of how our of your element you feel. But I promise you it is worth it, and that knowing how you really feel is is wonderful. Please take care!

15. baddech

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Woah, I did not intend nor expect my post to inflame so many. But you made me realize the folly in that post. I recant what i said but will leave it up for others to learn from. and will revisit some of my concepts, and you were right that I did not understand what bisexuality meant. Clearly my emotion of pain and resentment for my past partners translated into my post and i did not intend for that to happen.

My main point i wanted to make is that yes bisexuality does exist.

16. QBear

I can not speak for Annika, but on my own behalf, thank you Baddech for being adult enough to apologize.

Most of us here are on here because we are going through or have bern through some tough shit. So it's important that we speak our pain in ways that don't inflict our pain on others and tear entire groups down. But we're also all human, and we are all capable of saying thoughtlessly offensive and/or untrue things sometimes. So long as we learn from our mistakes, apologize when necessary, and do our best to maintain a supportive atmosphere, we can keep EmptyClosets a forum worth being on. We're all in this together. (&&&)

#36 QBear, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  17. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, thank you. Not just a matter of being adult (although there's certainly maturity in being able to take in another's perspective and to question your own). Thank you for being compassionate enough to apologize.

Let me reiterate my own sorrow for your painful background. I have no trouble acknowledging that there are bad actors among bisexuals, just as there are of every other sexuality.

We're definitely here to learn from one another...and to support one another. Thank you for being in touch with that.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

As for the thread title, I would counter that with a question: does the color gray exist?

It does, and in many hues.

19. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, absolutely not. I am purely imaginary, and I do not actually exist. You are hallucinating my very existence if you ever happen to see me........ No, well obviously it exists because I am :slight_smile:

20. obsequious

obsequious Guest

Being bi is a real thing, just like being straight or gay.

Focusing less on labels in exchange for who you're attracted to is probably the best advice that I can give. If you want to date someone, date them (I mean, assuming they want to date you too :icon_wink). Just be aware of your attractions to individual people. Don't force it if it isn't there.