1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in "an exception"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by madi, Aug 23, 2013.

?

Do you believe in the idea of an exception?

1. yes

30 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. maybe

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. madi

I'm talking about someone who is fully gay or fully straight except for with one person. I have an ex-boyfriend who was in love with, but besides him I have no romantic or sexual feelings for men. Before him I didn't have crushes on any guys, just girls. Since him I feel completely gay. I've heard about people having a sort of"exception to the rule" where they may fall for one person outside of their sexual orientation. I don't know if I believe in it. What's your opinion and why?

2. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am 100% gay, but i wont let that get in the way of love.

Though id hesitate..... a lot.... and maybe rethink my life a few more times.....
    (i kinda hope it doesnt happen)

3. ItalianBlueEyes

Out of what, seven billion people this world, 3.5 billion of them are not of the gender you're attracted to. 3.5 billion people, and even the gayest of us would be able to find at least one exception in there somewhere.

4. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    except there are more guys than girls :/

5. ItalianBlueEyes

^^ my numbers are off, I know.

Out of this HUGE planet, and all the fabulous same-gendered people there are, there's still a few special other-gender ones who'd catch our eye.
    Straight girls say all the time "Oh I'd go lesbian for *insert hot female celebrity here*
    I'm sure straight guys have their own "exceptions."
    Seems just as possible for homosexually identifying people to have the occasional heterosexual attraction

6. Kamina

Why couldnt there be an exception? Straight people have girl/guy crushes on celebs and I have two friends with LDR boyfriends and they act more lesbian with each other than anyone I know. Also think of all the BFFL out there who stay in touch over decades! You have to like someone quite a bit in order to put in that effort. I believe it is feasible that that feeling of companionship can develop into love.

Why not right?

7. swifter

swifter Guest

well in my life i've only loved one girl romantically, who with i connected deeply, but then i did something stupid and hurt her and now we are just friends, because she found somebody new, that treats her as she deserves like someone special *insert Bruno Mars song here*

8. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Most wouldnt admit :icon_wink

9. ItalianBlueEyes

^^Ahhhh then they're in a teensy bit of denial.
    I doubt, given the chance, that most heterosexual males would turn down a round of spin-the-bottle with Leonardo Dicaprio.
    Just as long as no one ever spoke of it again.
    Ever.

10. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, someone who would be "full gay" would never fall for someone of the opposite sex, and someone who would be "full straight" would never fall for someone of the same sex. However, sexuality is a spectrum, and some people are quite close to being "full gay" or "full straight", but not quite there (think Kinsey 1 and 2s), though they'd usually identify as being 100% gay/straight. There probably is someone of the gender they think they don't like who they'd find attractive and could even have sex with (or maybe even more), however considering there are billions of people in the world, most would probably go through life without meeting such a person. And even if they did, they'd probably not do anything about it, as it would threaten their identity they built around their label (the primary straight ones would also be afraid of being perceived as non-straight and losing their privilege). This isn't so much as an "exception", as it is a natural expression of these people's sexuality.

To give actual examples supporting your "exception" theory: a friend of mine (gay obviously) was in love with a girl a couple of years ago (no sex though, because she was a virgin, but he wanted to do it); a straight guy I once talked to in a chatroom said he had had a quite satisfying 1 year sexual relationship with another guy ten years ago in college (he had no other experiences with guys since, but he didn't regret what had happened). So there you go.

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2013 at 12:21 PM ----------

Don't women usually outnumber men in most societies? I think men end up outnumbering women only in countries where selective abortion is practiced (like China). Male fetuses are more vulnerable than female ones, and for this reasons more females are born.

#10 Adi, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  11. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    1 thing to note, nobody is 100% gay/straight.

12. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't feel comfortable making such absolute statements. I know I'm not, and you may not be either, but we have no way of knowing that there are NO people that are 100% gay or straight.

13. Holly

Ultimately, I think everyone will have someone in their lives (hopefully) that they feel like they are their soul-mate, regardless if they 'conform' to their ideas on their sexuality or not. I know I don't like guys, yes, and most of that is to do with the fact I can't see myself in a relationship with one. But we can't predict the future.

14. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

My opinion about other people doesn't change their experiences. If someone has had an exception, they've had an exception; who am I to say I know what they've experienced better than they do.

Um, excuse me. :smilewave

15. Ohhai

I have an ex boyfriend. I was genuinely in love with him....

16. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Yes, listen to the man with tons of labels on his orientation. :lol: Anyways; you kind of defeated your argument because you are panromantic at least. Which; the whole point of being 100% gay is literally have ZERO attraction emotionally or sexually to the opposite sex. There for proving my point.

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2013 at 07:06 AM ----------

Think of it this way, if people owned up to their words about having "exceptions" that would put a big dent in their "straightness/gayness" wouldn't you say? Women are given more leeway because of actual evidence and research behind this fact of exceptions. Men either don't own up to it because Society says so, or their pride. Basically; There is no 100% absolute in anything; so basically; no 100% gay/straight.

17. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with the bolded, and I never said otherwise. There probably are lots of people who identify as 100% gay/straight that are not really 100%, but would never fess up to it for various reasons (especially on the 100% straight side). HOWEVER, we have no way of knowing how many of these (knowing or unknowing) "liars" there are. Unless we'll ever find ourselves in a society where all sexualities are accepted, and people will freely admit their feelings and experiences, we will never know if most/all/few/many etc. are not 100% gay/straight. We can only honestly say that SOME are like this. For this reason, I do not think we can jump from the bolded to the underlined.

18. Holly

This is exact evidence of why people don't like labels. I personally find them useful, but the whole of your post highlights why labels can be so constricting. Yes, there are labels gay and straight, but you show no understanding of fluid sexuality. Furthermore, we can't look into the future. So how can anyone of us know who we will ultimately end up with? Therefore, perhaps yes, there is not 100% gay or straight, but ultimately the mould of the label only fits to a certain extent. If there is exceptions, why would it matter? People are people, they're not exact squares fitting into a square shaped mould.

19. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I didn't realize that two qualifies as "tons" now. :dry:

I was just talking about sexual attraction, which I have literally never felt for women. Even that is something some people have a hard time believing.

20. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Yes, but some would disagree on the whole aspect of having romantic feelings for women as a setback making it impossible for them to agree with you accusations. And I was just joking about the labels thing. :dry:

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2013 at 07:54 AM ----------

Yes, thank you! :eusa_clap