1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ask a guy if they're gay before asking them out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marco Blue, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Marco Blue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just wanted some advice. Is better to ask if they're gay or just go right for it and ask them out even if you're not sure they're gay?

2. neal18

I would say just go for it. If they're not gay, they'll probably just politely decline (no harm done). If they are, it's a lot more romantic/sexy to just go for it than to awkwardly ask first.

Anyway, I don't know how much it really matters. I guess I would say do whatever makes you feel more comfortable.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a bi person, it would kind of put me off. It is sort of a slight to me or it would feel like it.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with biguy8 - and we're probably indicative of straight guys, too. If you want to my friend first, fine. I'm willing to explore that. If it develops into something more later, we probably need to talk a little bit to make sure we're on the same sheet of music (remember, I'm not assuming you like me 'that way' any more than you can assume that I like you 'that way.') Or sometimes, it just happens (a really close, personal touch or kiss) and words aren't necessary. But, speaking for myself, I'd rather err on the side of talking about it first instead of pissing him off - he could end up being a good friend otherwise...

And asking me if I was 'gay' would be rather off-putting, as biguy8 said. But I wouldn't be offended if you asked if I REALLY liked you and we went from there.

In my personal opinion, when gay guys are dealing with bi guys it can be rather touchy at first, especially depending on how comfortable the bi guy is with dealing in same-sex relations. So you kinda have to be sensitive until you really understand his sensitivities (or lack thereof) to that subject. Regardless, that doesn't mean you can't have a great or even long-term relationship with him. You just need to be careful not to push him away initially by being what he considers to be 'too aggressive.'

My 2cents.

#4 Quantumreality, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016