1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do parents generally know if you're gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Different, Jan 19, 2013.

1. SomeKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can totally relate to this as it is like almost my exact situation. :lol: My parents are very catholic and I used to get ridiculous "stop acting like a woman" type comments. But, now they've completely halted and my parents have started encouraging my shopping habits and the idea of "as long as your happy."

2. ilovecats

ilovecats Guest

My parents didn't know, but once I came out they were like "OH, that's why you don't talk about boys." My friends had the same reaction.

3. XsabercaliberX

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Reading his makes me think that since growing up as a child I was the only boy in my family does this have an impact on why I'm gay? Oh yeah I didn't have any guy friends mostly girls and only grew up with them (I really wanted a brother)

#43 XsabercaliberX, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Yup, well from my experience my mom had always wondered if I might be gay, it was something she had in the back of her mind. The reason why she didn't say anything was because she didn't think it was her place, she wanted to wait until I came out and told her.

When I came out to my dad he didn't really say much, I don't think he knew/trying to convince himself that I'm not. He thinks I just haven't found the right man or that I'm confused, which is understandable.

But in general I think they always know, at least have an inkling towards it.

5. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As others of have said, I believe it really depends on your parents and your own outward expression. My parents claim they had an inclination, but I contribute it to the the process of elimination. They knew I was having a hard time dealing with person stuff for awhile.

Perhaps in retrospect parents can look back and identify certain things that acted as signals.

6. coming out

coming out Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom I'm sure knows I'm gay , she has seen all the behaviors that point that way.but being mom she loves me anyway. It would help me if she more or less confronted me about it

7. AaronMed

If it helps, my mom and dad said they've suspected for over a year before I came out a couple weeks ago - apparently it was kinda obvious! :grin: :grin: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

8. x Wallflower x

I think some members of my family suspected before even I knew I was attracted to women although I guess it's pretty obvious as I've never dated a guy at age 22 and I don't think I'm as discreet as I think I am when checking out women lol

9. suninthesky

My mom, dad, sister and pretty much everyone that cared to surmise pretty much thought I was gay, but only 1 friend suspected I was trans.

10. robotman

Personally I don't think parents know... My mum was totally shocked when I told her and my sister was quite surprised aswell... My dad doesn't know as he is completely homophobic and dislikes gay people so I couldn't tell him (my mum and sister agree) but he says many offence things around me and doesn't know I am gay. To be honest I think alot of people think that too be gay you have to be totally feminine if you are a guy and if you are a girl you have to be totally manly but this isn't true. Its just stereotypes lol.

11. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think my parents knew, but they weren't completely surprised given I never had a girlfriend.

Some people are so obvious that they are out to everyone but themselves. I know one guy that came out to his parents (long after coming out to his friends) and it was basically a "well duh we've known that for years."

It can be a tricky situation for parents when they know, but don't know how to approach their child.

12. biggayguy

My parents didn't want to see the signs and neither did I. They had a very conservative home. We were at church three times a week unless someone was running a fever and throwing up. One time I was making out with a boy on the living room floor. Dad came in and we told him we were wrestling. Dad didn't say anything but I doubt he believed it was wrestling.

13. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom is going to have the shock of her life when she finds out.

14. Momosboy

You could always send ME the clothes and accessories, girlfriend.

15. NightGrazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't really know because I have yet to come out, but I did tell my sister who said she had no idea, although at the moment i have told her I am still questioning. I did tell my mam a couple of months ago that I think I might be gay and she was totally shocked so I don't think they know, but I think it depends on the parents and child involved.

16. Daveyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Difficult to say. I came out to my parents as bisexual last night. Now my mum told me she had a feeling. But then mother's (mine especially) are experts, when it comes to predicting the past. Sometimes mine just can't seem to resist saying "I told ya so" or "I had a feeling".

17. Elflord

Elflord Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I haven't came out to my dad but he always calls me "Lezza" or "Lezbo" so I dunno, could be possible, my mums always like "ITS OKAY IF YOUR LESBIAN YOU KNOW" xD

18. rjrh20

I told me mom that I was lesbian yesterday and she tried to tell me that I wasn't it was a phase and tried to talk me out of it. I asked her if she had any idea that I was gay and she said that it crossed her mind but she didn't want to ask because she was scared I might not be and be really mad that she asked.

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2013 at 12:46 PM ----------

If they do than they are just too scared to ask in case you are not.

19. Colours

They don't have to be scared. Maybe they just want to let you be. Give you time. Maybe they're fully accepting of it and understand that you can't tell them.

As for my parents, my mother had no clue, whereas my father did; I was seeing this guy and well, me and him met up really often, so my father could kind of tell we were dating.
    He never asked me or talked to me about it, only one time during an argument when he told me to quit seeing him because in his eyes, he had a bad influence on me. But that could be interpreted in other ways, too.
    They weren't all too accepting when I told them, kind of negative in a way, but that was more because they were worried about me and how others would react to it if I were to come out. They told me that it was my life and all that, so I suppose it's all good in the end.

20. AAASAS

My mom said she knew, not because I did girl things or was girly; I was denace the menace as a kid. But she said I was more creative and more articulate than most kids my age so she had a hint that I wasn't normal.

So I think parents always know regardless of how their kids act, I really didn't give a solid reason to think I was gay(I think generally homosexuals who don't fit gender roles as well are more obvious). I just for some reason enjoy male things more than female things so my mom had to look at other things to give it away.