1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do most trans-people care about pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by bluerain, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bluerain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was wondering if most trans* identified individuals feel that it is imperative to be called their preferred pronouns and wether or not they find other pronouns upsetting. Or is there any trans-person who never had a preference or care about pronouns? Thank you :slight_smile:

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally do not like to be called by female pronouns. Now, if somebody does gender me as female, I don't bite their heads off or anything. I'll gently remind them at a time when I'm alone with them (no need to embarrass them in front of people). People have and probably will continue to make me angry by purposely using feminine pronouns though.

Now, when it comes to gender neutral pronouns, I don't mind those at all. If people want to use those with me, then I am fine with that.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would depend I suppose...I mean I personally need people to use the correct pronouns, because I AM a girl, I don't have any fluidity there at all, so for me I need them.

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I care a LOT about them. DON'T use female pronouns on me, I'm doing all I can to appear male (and I generally pass when people don't know my legal name), and I feel terrible when I'm addressed as female. Neutral pronouns don't bother me either, but they don't exist in French, so I can only hear them when I'm speaking English.

5. June Cleaver

Yes, I dislike male pronouns being used for me. I forgive it if I'm presenting male and the person does not know. If it is somebody who knows me as June and persists in calling me he, dude, sir, etc I get upset! June

6. purplekitty

I like the pronouns "they" or "ne" the most, but I generally don't care what pronouns someone uses for me, just as long as they aren't making huge assumptions about me when they use gendered pronouns.

7. Sarcastic Luck

I prefer male ones. Female/neutral (unless it's they/their/you) makes me twitch.

8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I care heavily about pronouns, as I can't tolerate being gendered as female. I'm alright with everything else (male or neutral pronouns). If someone actually uses Spivak/neutral in reference to me, I'm even happier.

9. Jaybird

Jaybird Guest

Sometimes individuals who identify as genderqueer, bigender, etc. alternate pronouns or allow others to choose whichever set they feel most comfortable with. So yes, there are trans* people out there who don't care about pronouns or feel they're unimportant. :slight_smile: For some trans* people, however, pronouns are incredibly important, and using the wrong ones can aggravate dysphoria. So it really depends on who you're talking to.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like being gendered male, and I would describe feminine pronouns or neutral ones as mildly important to me.

11. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right now, since I'm not out, I don't really care much if my preferred pronouns are used. But once I am out, I do expect them to be used. It just seems reasonable.

12. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think most people care about the right pronouns for them! It's a big part of being recognised as who you are.

I'm not out, so I don't mind people using my dude pronouns. But when I transition, who knows how I'll feel.

13. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I'm out and about and passing as a guy, then I expect to be recognized as one.
    Since I'm not, it's only a matter of time until I will expect to be addressed as male.

14. Niko

Since I'm not really out to everyone, and don't pass the greatest, I dont mind if outside people use she or her, but I can't stand it when they call me miss, ma'am or a lady though.
    At home my parents still refer me as a girl and it drives me nuts because they know, but at the same time don't understand it.

On those rare occasions where I do pass and people use male pronouns, I get really excited and happy. So I think it's safe to say I definitely prefer Male pronouns or at the very least gender neutral.