1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do drag shows make you feel uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, May 29, 2015.

?

Do drag shows make you feel uncomfortable?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2015.
  1. Yes.

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. No.

33 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. It depends on the situation.

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. I am not really sure.

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The notion of something so harmless being uncomfortable baffles me. I just don't get it I'm afraid.

2. AlamoCity

I realized what was part of what makes me uncomfortable when I connected it to the fact that I also dislike clowns.

I think I have issues with people who disguise themselves and try to pass themselves off as something they aren't. I guess I feel uncomfortable whenever someone's identity is obscured by mask or whatnot.

Also, it's funny how drag is like the unofficial official art form of the "gay community."

3. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fuck to the yeah.

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never seen a drag show, but I can't imagine that it would make me feel uncomfortable, seeing as how I love musical theater and I thought "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" was great.

5. awdru15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoy drag queen performances I have a friend who occasionally does a show not a good idea to sit in the front row :slight_smile:

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. Basically, if a person doesn't value that which is feminine in men, why would they be interested? So, I agree. Like I said, I'd be bored.

---------- Post added 30th May 2015 at 10:46 AM ----------

I agree. I'm sure this is one aspect of at least one Pride parade group or float, if not more. It's not an exactly elevated form of art or entertainment. The only type of camp I find funny is when some gay guys temporarily go into bitchy mode for its humor and then lapse out of it.

I could see a lot more to be proud about in displays of musical, artistic, athletic, and other forms of talent. For one, putting together well done floats for parades IS something to be proud of.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No not at all I respect individuality and their bravery in doing what they do. When I lived in West Virginia of all places in their biggest city drag queens was their biggest thing apparently and pretty cool for being closet to the South. I mean i am not most attractive guy and not that I look at myself negatively juste being realistic I am proud to be who I am and many guys have shown interest in me but when I was like at gay bar or at gay pride drag queens look at me and my bf like "who the hell are you". But in general some people in the gay community not all live by stereotypes and standards and if your not one of them your out of luck and I don' get a very welcoming feeling when around them.

8. 741852963

This is actually a really interesting topic.

Unfortunately my answer has to be a vague "I don't know".

I've never really "got" drag queens, although I do appreciate the artistry and the effort the performers put into the acts.

One of my concerns with drag is the nastiness and bitchiness which seems to be a necessity (do you get nice drag queens?). I do also wonder whether it is OK to parody women in that manner; perhaps it is acceptable as they are parodying specific types of women rather than femininity at large and exaggerating it?

On transwomen? I do see that point, transwomen do often get labelled with transvestites and dragqueens, but I think that is probably more an issue with the person making that assumption (i.e. the bigoted person) rather than the drag artists themselves.

One thing I've personally always wondered though (excuse my ignorance here). Drag artists do seem incredibly comfortable in the act, and often really "become" the women. Is there any element of gender dysphoria here, in a sense are some of these guys "mildly" transgender or bigender?

I will confess though that I do find Willam Belli very funny, but that is more for the quirks of the character (deliberately acting dumb but surprising the viewer by occasionally coming out with something really intelligent) rather than the bitchiness of the act.

9. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How you act/look/present yourself is gender EXPRESSION.. completely seperate to gender IDENTITY. They are playing a character.. the same way an actor would play a certain character.

---------- Post added 30th May 2015 at 12:17 PM ----------

Drag isnt about passing as a woman... although some do, many do not. And most do not live as women.. I was thinking that the reason youre so uncomfortable by males wearing dresses and wigs is because of your conservative upbringing... perhaps?:dry:

10. Hiems

Nah I'm not bothered by drag shows.

One of my high school acquaintances posted pics of him doing drag, and I thought it was quite impressive that he put that much effort to transforming himself. And he looked fabulous :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Maybe if the opportunity comes, I'll do drag as a bucket list thing. Just to say I did it, LOL

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not at all! My friends invite me to shows, and while I was nervous my first time, not wanting to be singled out in the audience, found myself really taken in by the energy of the show and the crowd.

In fact, it played a large role in my own steps in experimenting with drag. Still not sure if the one I saw was a drag or faux queen, but being Halloween themed, there was no shortage of inspiration.

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. In fact my future dorm in college I've heard hosts the LGBTQ Resource Center's annual drag show fundraiser! Sounds like a pretty fun time. :slight_smile:

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all honesty, it depends on the content of the show. I'm not into bitchy routines, but if it's a performer with real talent and passion, I'm good with it.