1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divorce Requirements

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Imsogay, May 13, 2019.

1. Imsogay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello,

I live in Canada and in a province that allows for only a few ways to divorce. As my husband and I were polyamorous we could file as infidelity, but he does not feel I was unfaithful.

The other option is that we could live apart for a year, and we currently share an apartment.

How are other people finding divorce requirements in other countries/areas?

2. LostJedi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would suggest finding a recommended divorce lawyer to review options. If you have any friends, etc., who are lawyers, they can point you in the right direction.

If it is an amicable divorce - which is how this sounds - you can get a mediated divorce agreement, which fast tracks things, and it is an inexpensive route. But it would still depend on the framework in your province in how quickly things go.

A lawyer might recommend starting with a mediated separation agreement. This will make the actual divorce move more smoothly and rapidly.

The investment of a few hundred dollars in a lawyer's time will save you a whole lot of work tracking down this information.

Imsogay likes this.
  3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

These requirements are similar in the UK. I actually found that the idea of living separately counts if you live together but don’t “live as spouses”, basically if you don’t share a bed and show other signs of moving on from the marriage. My ex and I filed under those arrangements, because here in the UK some circumstances stipulate living apart for 2 years. Also, fun fact, gay sex is not considered real sex here in the UK for divorce purposes. Funny how that archaic law didn’t factor in when gay sex was punishable by law

4. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting. In California we have "no fault" divorce so everyone just checks the "irreconcilable differences" box.