1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disney Renaissance Era

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WolfyFluff, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like all of the movies in this era, but I'm going to give a shout out to The Hunchback of Notre Dame since it is so criminally underrated. It has an excellent story, stunning animation, some terrific songs and great characters. Quasimodo is probably one of the most likable Disney protagonists and Esmerelda is one of the better female role models of the 90s.

I really liked the movie's message of tolerance and felt it tackled prejudice in a much more sophisticated manner than Pocahontas. I also liked the way it handled religion in that it neither condemned it nor celebrated it. Rather, it showed how some people could use religion to justify evil and bigoted actions (like Frollo), and how sometimes people turn to faith out of a genuine wish to help others (like Esmerelda when she prays for the outcasts of the world, or the Archdeacon).

As a closeted gay person who was raised by a homophobic pastor, the movie really connected with me. My dad would often speak of the world as if it were a cruel and evil place and that Christianity was the only avenue for which I would be safe, despite the fact that my dad's religion was against gay people and was the number one thing causing me to hate myself as a teen. It's similar to how Frollo made Quasimodo hate himself by saying he was born a monster and how he had to stay inside the cathedral (closet) in order to avoid experiencing the harsh prejudices from society. Like Quasimodo, I realized that there are many people in the world (like Esmerelda) who are accepting of those who are different and that the religious bigots who claim to be doing the right thing (like Frollo) are actually the one's who are doing the most harm to the outcasts of society.

#21 Ghost93, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  2. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My favourite is The Little Mermaid. I have seen that movie more times than any other movie ever. I think Hercules is so underrated. Love Hades. And Meg. And Phil. And Pain and Panic. Okay I'm done:slight_smile:

3. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

I happened to notice that Hunchback was on Netflix and watched it again. It's a really engaging story and it was pulled off so well for an adaptation of the book. Frollo was one of the most vicious villains I've seen in a disney film. He really creeped me out at some parts. Quasimodo, Esmeralda, Phoebus, and Frollo were quite the interesting characters, Quasimodo was my favorite out of them. They did a good job of presenting religion from a neutral point of view, and the other themes were handled well. Kind of glad for rewatching it now lol

Reading all of these posts now really puts me in the mood for rewatching a lot of disney movies, even some of the older films.

4. candyjiru

Definitely Aladdin, then Mulan and the Lion King~

Hunchback was cool because of how mature it was, and Hercules was amazing (except for the title lead... omg Hades <3)

5. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The entire plot line of Frollo lusting over Esmerelda was extremely creepy. I will say though, the "Hellfire" sequence, from a purely artistic standpoint, is one of the greatest achievements in animation. [YOUTUBE]JkGb6DlbcD0[/YOUTUBE]

I wonder what it would be like if Disney gave The Hunchback of Notre Dame a sing-along re-release like they did with Frozen. Could you imagine how awkward it would be for a five year old singing next to their parent "Destroy Esmerelda and let her taste the fires of hell, or else let her be mine and mine alone!" as a bouncing ball hops over the lyrics? :roflmao:

6. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ That movie scared me. Way too intense and dark for a kids movie.

7. Jellal

8. White Knight

Pocahontas is my favorite among any Disney animated movie. I can easily forgive seriously twisted historical facts because of the movies messages about nature, racism and being an indivudal.

Mulan and Aladdin comes second close.

While artistically I don't favor them much I like story in Hercules and Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Least favorite probably Tarzan and it is only Tarzan related work I don't like.

9. Heatman1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Aladdin fo sho. Robin Williams' genie was the kind of performance that only comes around once in a lifetime. I've heard really good things about Hercules as well, but I've never gotten around to watching it in its entirety.

10. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ Robin Williams, we ain't never had a friend like you! Now I want to watch Aladdin.

11. ouji

ouji Guest

The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin were my favorites.

12. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Beauty and the Beast!!

13. SocceRoo

those and tarzan are my favourites. if i had to pick one it would be The Lion King.

ahhh f*** it i love 'em all

#33 SocceRoo, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015