1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Disney Channel introduces first openly lesbian couple!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Skaros, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    1- meaning of not-normal: something that is not too common... Well, homosexuality apparently is like a 3% of population, so in that sense is not too normal....but so what?! The normal argument is stupid. Something being normal or not is irrelevant, how normal is something have nothing to do with something being good or bad. For example: stupid people are very very normal, geniuses are not normal.

2- kids cannot understand engineering, should engineers hide their books frommtheir childs?... Is simple "son, most of the time , when a boy becomes a man he searchs for a woman, and they go together to a house and become mom and dad. Most of the time when a girl becomes a woman, she searchs for a man, so she can become a mom...but some boys when they grow up they want to be dad and dad, and some girls who become woman want to be mom and mom...this is not something you choose, is something that happen when you become and adult, and not matter what happen, is going to be beautiful" then you proceed to answer his additional questions... Hard? Not so much.

3- if it haves an anti gay person in the program? Well, if you ahve kids and you are progay, you just explain them that is not ok to hate people for being gay... Taht is what parents are for, so they can explain things to their kids... I watched lots of above pg 13s things when i was bellow 13... Hell! I watched dragon ball z when i was 8... I played mortal combat at 6... It didnt turn me into a serial killer

2. BiPenguin

Shame they left it to the end. I believe that now is the time for western film makers to show LGBT people to be shown naturally without the political messages attached. Just like any other couple as if nobody even noticed 'the difference'.

3. justjade

I read about the possibility of this episode a while back, and I'm glad they actually aired it. I do think children's shows need to do more to be relevant. Disney Channel did a good thing, and seeing the clip, I really hope it made an impact. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 31st Jan 2014 at 05:44 PM ----------

I agree.:thumbsup:

4. TheUglyBarnacle

It's such a huge step for sure. The way they presented them is pretty good, too. I just wish they hadn't gone for two conventionally attractive, feminine, white women.
    Still a huge step nonetheless.

5. Tim

Tim

The Fosters focuses on a bi racial lesbian couple raising kids, and is on ABCFamily, owned by ABC, which also owns Disney. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. blueberrymuffin

About time, now maybe the next cinderella sequel will have a "Princess Charming" instead....yeah not gonna hold my breath for that.

7. justjade

That would be pretty great though. :slight_smile:

8. flymetothemoon

I thought Disney handled this really well. It was subtle, and honestly, I think if parents didn't make a big deal of it, kids wouldn't have even noticed that Taylor had two moms.

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2014 at 01:36 PM ----------

I'd be very interested to see where you get the information that most Christians don't have a problem with lesbians. My very Christian family certainly has a problem with it. And there are plenty of Christians angry about the inclusion of lesbians in this show. Yes, it may be true that there are less gay men in the media than women, but that doesn't mean that people are not angry about lesbian characters. Certainly there are Christians who don't have a problem with lesbians, but those same people probably don't have a problem with gays in general.

9. Doorway

Well, I guess, to the average person, "lesbian" conjures up the hyper-masculine butch, so showing a conventionally beautiful lesbian couple shows that not all lesbians are like that. It would be like having a gay guy that's straight-acting with a beer gut and listens to rap. It also shows that sexuality doesn't have to be your #1 defining trait, and you don't have to be a stereotype if you're gay/lesbian/bi.

10. flymetothemoon

I see your point about the conventionally attractive feminine white women. One thing that I thought was kind of neat about that though is that it shows that not every couple has someone who is manly. There are still too many people who think of lesbians as one girl who is very butch and not conventionally attractive and one who is. People have even asked me whether it was going to be me or my wife who shaved our head because we couldn't both be femme. So in that sense I appreciate when the media portrays couples who don't have a more butch character. However, I do think there is a need for portraying all different types of lesbian characters, so like I said I can totally see why it would have also been beneficial for them to use different women.

11. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think its actually the other way around, ABC is a sub-channel for Disney. But yeah its great that they´re doing this :slight_smile:

12. TheUglyBarnacle

Alright, I didn't know that and it's definitely great that they are doing this. :slight_smile:

Well, to be fair, even if you are a stereotype, your #1 defining trait does not and is usually not your sexuality. There is a lot more to a person and that IS something we need to see on TV (butches are more than masculinity, flamboyant feminine guys are more than flamboyance and femininity).
    But, yeah, we certainly need to show that not all queer people are stereotypical. We come in all flavours.

Well, shows targetted towards queer people aside, I've only seen one butch lesbian on TV whereas girls attracted to girls that are femme are much more prevalent (Pretty Little Liars, Glee etc) therefore that's where my complaint was coming from. I can see why portraying non-stereotypical queer people/couples is necessary. I've heard about femme women's queer sexualities being considered non-legitimate/just cries for attention and it's definitely an issue.