1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion: Gay Sex Ed in Public Schools

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zalias, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty much this.

The rest of us kind of need info too, if you're gay and required to take the class you'll learn more useful information from a Google search, and that's a bit sad. Ie, cis gay men required to study specifics about pregnancy but not given anything they can apply to themselves. There's countless cases like that. Schools seem to just give a cookie cutter education to everybody regardless of their practibility, especially here in the US.

Also a little comment: The teacher regards homosexual sex as "pointless" because it doesn't produce offspring. The world is incredibly overpopulated, so applying the logic of that teacher heterosexual sex is also pointless and the class should just be scrapped. See the flaws there? People should just educate without bias, it's bad enough schools flat out reject major parts of science because they'd rather go by the old books. Ironically, the education system needs to evolve to keep up with the world.

As for the straight folks who think it's "icky" what about us who aren't interested in heterosexual intercourse? Little bit of a double standard there, but alas.

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think different sexual practices should be in the curriculum. I'm not into marketing it as "gay sex" education. Instead there should be discussion about oral sex, anal sex and stuff like that. There could be a special mentioning about how anal sex is different for guys vs girls with regards to prostate but there is no need to make any special label this being gay.

The focus of any sex ed should be in the prevention of unwanted pregnancies and STDs.

3. PaperInkling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We learn so much about sexuality in my sex ed class! I think they really started teaching us it in seventh grade.(!):thumbsup:

4. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think sex ed needs an overhaul in schools. School can be rough for any young person especially one questioning themselves. Yes I think sexuality should be explained much deeper. Including oral and anal sex information and health. I think done in a way that is neutral but informative. Whatever your orientation you can engage in the same sexual acts. Definitely the forms of sexual pleasure should be taught!

5. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So true..
    Especially the part about sex for no offspring is pointless..
    Apparently by that logic:
    No sex for pleasure even if heterosexual
    People who can't have children can't have inter corse (eg. Elderly or you health wise)

I don't think we should separate gay and streight people into different classes (please no) but we need advice for all..
    I don't need to know about females contraception but I still have to..

6. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Affirmative!

I think it should be included in school. When I went to school they only taught about straight sex. So when I came out to my parents they wanted me to know how to be safe and protected just as if I was with a guy and both of them didn't really know much about it.

I think it's important for everyone to be educated especially for kid so how are not out to their parents or other family that can help them

7. Spotofpaint

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It should most certainly be taught in school! Back when I was in high school in the 1990's they only taught about straight sex. Years later after I met my girlfriend (now wife) we had NO CLUE what we were doing our first several attempts! We just did what felt good, having no idea if it was how other lesbians did things. We were lucky that we were both adults and old enough to have a general knowledge of what is safe and what is not, but I imagine that's not the case with some younger kids.

Not teaching us about sex ed in public schools sets up everyone in the LGBT community up for not just an embarrassing, fumbling first time, but it could also be dangerous. Prevention of STD's, HIV, and simply safe sex in general so you don't end up hurting yourself is vitally important! It's ridiculous that it ISN'T taught in most schools.

8. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

It should absolutely be included.
    My friend is actually doing this big project right now to make the curriculum for a health class in our school (we had to take a lame online one before).

Studies have shown that LGBT+ students are more likely to have unsafe sex, especially when it isn't taught in school. Kind of a no-brainer.
    Actually, in some states the state-mandated curriculum summaries still require that if homosexuality is brought up, it must be presented as "not a safe alternative to heterosexual sex". It's ridiculous.
    People need to be educated.

It's like the argument for abstinence-only versus contraceptive-focused health classes. People don't want to teach contraceptive use because they feel it will "encourage sexual behavior" in teens. Teens are going to have sex, people are going to have sex no matter what you teach them. States that teach abstinence-only health literally have much higher teen pregnancy rates. People are going to do what people are going to do. There are straight people, there are gay people, there are bi people, trans people. And you know what? All of them are taking the same course and all of them need access to a fair and practical education about how to be fricking safe in the world. Why is that so hard to grasp? You'll teach advanced mathematics and everything, but you won't teach a student how to be safe because it goes against your thinking? Ridiculous.

Okay, my rant is over.