1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointed by my Church Family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jim1454, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand why... It's a societal thing more than a religious thing. The idea of being an active homosexual is far disgusting than a normal fornicator. But they are almost the same.

Strong wife too

2. NJCentralGary

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You will always be known as "Cap'n Treasurer" to me. A true inspiration to me, thanks for your post! :eusa_clap

3. Jim1454

It's Presbyterian. I think it's a Canadian denomination with it's roots in Scottland.

I am already thinking about what kind or organization I could get involved in next. I'd like it to be LGBT related in some way. But there's no hurry either. A break would be good too.

4. Jim1454

Yesterday was a really emotionally exhausting day...

I came out to the woman who has been chairing the finance and maintenance committee. I let her know what had happened, and she said she was sorry that the leadership team had come to that decision, and she understood my decision to hand over the church books immediately.

After work I dropped off the books at the church office. Nobody was there. I then carried on to the home of an elderly couple who I quite like, and who I would see quite often because he was one of the people authorized to be the second signature on our cheques. Only last night I told him and his wife that I wouldn't be coming around to do that any more - that I'd been asked to step down. They were shocked, and when I told him that I'd told the minister that I was gay he immediately said "So what?" That made me feel so good. When I carried on to say that the leadership team had decided it wouldn't be appropriate for me to stay on, he just stood there shaking his head. He didn't agree at all with them - and felt that they had made a mistake. They asked if I would still be attending, and I told them no - that I didn't feel welcome any more. And they asked if that would be the case for my wife and the girls, and I told them yes. She had stood by me through all of this, and continues to. We won't raise our kids in a church that doesn't respect thier father. They thanked me for stopping in to tell them in person and praised me for the courage that I'm demonstrating, and assured me that their door was open to me any time.THAT is what I expected from members of my church. She gave me a hug and he shook my hand again, and I left.

I had hoped to visit another woman from the church - our kids actually refer to her as 'grandma Lynn' - but she appeared to have company last night - so I didn't stop. I'll have to see her another time.

But I did carry on to speak to the 'Clerk of Session' or the head elder. He was also a neighbour when we lived in the area and someone I considered a friend. He was surprised to see me at his door, and immediately looked rather ashamed. He asked me in and I told him that I had stopped by to let him know that the church books were now in the church office, and to tell him in person how disappointed and hurt I was as a result of the decision they had arrived at. He was obviously (and I think sincerely) upset and said that he regrets the decision the arrived at and the way they've handled this entire situation. He also said that he appreciated me coming over, and that I was demonstrating more courage than he obviously had. He also said that he hoped I would stay in touch. And he offered his hand but then gave me a very heart-felt hug as well. He was quite moved.

He actually called me a couple of hours later to apologize again. He couldn't let the evening come to an end with out talking to me again and apologizing again for this entire sitiuation, and he hoped that at some point I would come by and come in for a proper talk and allow him to apologize again.

Talk about drama. I've just about had enough. But I feel good - and the cause is a very worthy one. I'm proud of myself, and of my wife.

So there's another update. More to come though.

5. s5m1

Jim, thanks for the update. What you have done is very courageous. I cannot begin to tell you how much I admire your decision to speak with each of these people directly. As we often discuss on EC, the more people who we come out to, the more society will realize that we are just like everyone else.

It is great that each of these people voiced support for you when you spoke with them. Now, if only they had just half the courage you do to speak up and say to others in the church that what they did was just plain wrong.

6. biisme

I'm so sorry to hear about how your church reacted. It's completely inappropriate, and rather than this being a time when your church could learn to better understand homosexuality and accept it, they've presented a really close-minded and naive decision which is based off of none of the wonderful things you've done for them. I hope when the general congregation learns of what happened that they disagree with the decision and that any other members you are close to there accept you.

Also, I really admire you for having the courage to come out to them, even the reaction was not good.

7. EM68

Thanks for updating us Jim. It sounds like you have a lot of support. Maybe they realize the mistake they made and will reconsider their position in the future. It may not help you or your family but someone in the future.

8. Jim1454

I called another friend from the church today while I was at work. He had already heard what happened because his wife is an 'elder' but she hadn't been present at the meeting where they voted to have me step down. He and his wife were very upset to hear the news - and also felt that it was the wrong decision for the church to have made.

He also let me know that they had come to the conclusion that I was gay months ago! (Not the first people to have guessed correctly.) And they actually have had two other friends go through exactly the same situation - been married with kids and then come out as gay. Now I make 3!

This is just weighing so heavily on me these days that it is bothering me at work. So today I was having a one on one meeting with one of my best employees - and I came out to her as well. She was surprised, and quite moved to hear my whole story. And while she's devoutly Christian, and the bible gives one message, she also has many gay friends and knows that God wants us to love everyone. She was also disappointed that my church would treat me that way, and encouraged me to find another congretation that would be more welcoming.

There's no stopping me now! I'm on a roll.

9. Alex19

u def r on a roll. lol and i think the elders that voted u out r gonna go through hell on the decision they made. it sounds like a lot of ppl r on ur side on this and i bet theyre all gonna give the elders a peice of their minds

10. shimmersky

This might help explain why your church was against you, while your ex-mother-in-law's wasn't. There is a BIG difference between the PCUSA and the PCA.

Anyway, I'm sorry about what happened, but I am very optimistic about it. I think that you, as a long-time member of your congregation who was apparently very well loved, have a unique opportunity to change a lot of minds here. :slight_smile:

11. Jim1454

Cool - thank you for the links.

I'm in Canada, but there was also a blurb at that site that talked specifically about Canada.

12. Bubba

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Too bad. I am one who doesn't necessary believe you need to attand a gay affirming church if you are gay, but I am not everyone. I hope you find a church to your liking and comfort level. Make sure you find one that is both loving but also will challenge you spiritually. I am a guy close to your age and have a couple of kids myself. I know the importance of raising kids to understand they have a spiritual side (soul) that needs to be developed and "cultured" so to speak. Plus it is a great place to develope good friends. Good luck bud.

13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you're doing fantastically. i'm impressed beyond typeable words.

14. Jim1454

Ok... I have another update. Here's what happened today.

My wife wanted to get some closure around this situation at the church. She had decided that she wouldn't be attending any more, but wanted people to know why, as well as to say good bye. She spoke to the retired minister from the church she attended growing up, and the advice was to make a brief statement before the church service, and then immediately leave.

So this morning, my boyfriend minded the girls and my wife, her boyfriend, her mother, and myself all went to church. We went straight to the front and sat in the first pew. The minister was at the front setting up his guitar and came to shake our hands when we sat down. I informed him that we were here only so that my wife could say her goodbyes before the service. He looked a little horrified, and suggested that it might be a bit disruptive, and suggested that she say her goodbyes afterwards. But we informed him that we weren't staying. He said he wasn't sure that was good idea, and went to speak to the 'clerk of session'. But before he came back to say one way or the other, I asked the organist to wrap up so that my wife could make a 'brief' announcement. Here is what she said - more or less:

And with that, the rest of us got up, and we all went to leave.

Several members of the congregation got to their feet to shake our hands and give us hugs. It was very, very moving. One member came outside with us. She was too upset to stay, and thought she could sit alone for a while and contemplate what just happened. It was overall a good experience. We felt it had to be done.

What was especially gratifying was that there was an announcement in the church bulletin this morning, stating that I had "tendered my resignation" from the position of treasurer. That of course, wasn't the case. And I would have been VERY angry had I found out that this statement had been made about me without the larger context being shared with people.

My ex wife is an incredibly awesome person. I'm so thankful for her and all the help and support she has offered to me.

15. biisme

I'm glad that the people in the congregation know why you are leaving. And, it sounds like you have a lot of friends there who do support you there. Your ex-wife's speech was to the direct, and very well said. (I also liked that you asked the organist to finish so she could speak.)

I hope your family finds a church that accepts you for who you are, because you definintely deserve it, and people who can't see what a great person you are, don't deserve to have you.

16. SpinachWrap

This is a really inspiring story. It just goes to show how important it is to come out. Not just for your own personal development, but also for how it can affect a community. I'm almost a bit jealous that I have only ever come out to supportive communities. You've been given an amazing opportunity to enact some very important change. You've started the dialogue, and that's incredibly important. I wish I could do the same.

17. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

That is amazing that you have such a supportive family that stands up for you like that. And who knows...maybe you will have a positive impact on a few people in the congregation :slight_smile:.

18. Miss Bubbles

Hey it doesn't matter what they think as long as you don't lie to yourself then all shall be fine. Admitting to yourself is the first step.(*hug*)

19. Alex19

ur exwife is the HBIC and i love it :slight_smile:

20. Astaroth

Your ex-wife rocks, I must say. Standing up before an entire congregation can't be easy with such news. Good for you, her, and your family for standing up for what you believe in. One day, that congregation will begin to realize that they are literally pushing people away from ministry (and in their opinion, the people that need it the most).