1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difficulties coming out to last few people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by slimred, Jun 11, 2016.

1. slimred

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK here's the issue. I'm out to almost everyone. Immediate family (including my Dad who was fine but I was really anxious about telling him as he's really conservative), friends who live in the same city, and most other people who I've met in the last 7 years, after coming out to myself then a few other people in 2009/10. But I'm still not out to some of my friends who I've known really well for years who live in or near the town where I grew up. I came out relatively late in life at 34, I'm now 41.

I don't know what it is but the thought of telling them I'm a different person to the one they think they've known all these years makes me really anxious. I'm still good friends with all these people and still see all of them from time to time, either separately or as a group. In fact I will be seeing a few of them as a group in a couple of weeks time at a music festival, and I want to find a way of spilling the beans then but I'm not sure how. I think it's necessary, especially as we'll be in an environment where anything could and may happen. I don't want to have to hide any more or pretend I'm someone I'm not for anyone else's sake.

What I don't get is why I'm so nervous. I guess they're good friends and won't be expecting this, especially as I'm older now and their ideas about me are probably quite set in their minds.

Does anyone else feel like this? How did you tackle your nerves and let your friends know? How did they react? Any advice?

Have the same problem with distant family (aunts, cousins, grandparents etc). I haven't told them yet either. But in some respects that will be easier as news will spread faster and within a limited number of people.

Thanks for any tips :slight_smile:

2. mrj2688

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really have any tips, but I'm in the same boat. I have come out to pretty much all of my family. But, I'm having a really hard time getting the courage to tell my long time friends. I've known many of them for 20+ years. I think it's mostly that I'm embarrassed I didn't come out earlier in my life. It could come as a real surprise to some of them.

This whole process is especially tough because I'm so nervous about getting out into the LGBT community and living life as openly gay until I've told all of my friends and family. I'm just kind of back to the regret I have for not having done this 15 years ago.