1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between clear preference and exclusive attraction??

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by sunnyskies, Aug 20, 2016.

1. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So first thing's first; I know that I like women, and I like women a lot more than I like men. Ever since I started to realise/accept my feelings toward women, a lot of things suddenly made sense: wanting sex, worrying about looking pretty, wanting to impress, wanting to make-out, wanting to hold hands or snuggle, staring at sexy pictures etc. These things never made sense to me when I was 'meant' to like men. As soon as I replaced men with women in my mind I could suddenly understand the whole excitement about relationships. When I thought of these things with men it just seemed a bit... Bland. I just never got the huge appeal other girls experienced.

Now, I'm very aware that this sounds like I am gay, because my feelings for women are so clearly real. But I can't for the life of me figure out how I feel about men. The thought of having sex with a man isn't an entirely bad thought for me, and a masculine presence has a certain charm to it. I could find a guy cute and sweet, and I THINK I've had crushes on guys back in my school days. But as I said, it all seems so bland next to what I feel for women. Like it would be nothing to write home about, and I feel like with things like making out or snuggling I would just feel a bit uncontented and a bit ill at ease, if that makes sense. And looking at pictures of 'sexy' shirtless guys does nothing for me (I don't think so anyway). Certain shirtless women, on the other hand...

Because my feelings for women are so clear, I feel like if I also liked guys then shouldn't this be clear too? How do I know the difference between whether this is just a strong preference for women, or an exclusive liking? How do I distinguish whether not minding the thought of having sex with a man is complacency or some form of genuine attraction?
    Has anyone else here experienced something like this, where you had very clear feelings for one sex but were a bit uncertain about the other? If so, how did you overcome and work through this? How on earth did you suss out how you really feel??
    Some moments I'm sure I'm gay, other moments I backtrack and think that I must be mostly gay, and then sometimes I wonder if I am bisexual with a strong preference to women. Does anyone have any advice or input? I would so very very VERY much appreciate it. x

Edit: I would just like to add I haven't had any relationships with women, and have only really dated one guy for about three months. I never felt comfortable holding his hand or cuddling, he loved it, but I just felt a bit awkward and somehow like something didn't sit right. He went to kiss me several times but I didn't want to kiss him, and so never did. I wonder if this was just the guy I was with, or whether it was because he was a guy in general.
    I had always been pretty contented with being single, and never really felt that motivated to go out and get a boyfriend. I never felt like I really had much desire for one, and assumed that perhaps this desire would arrive later.
    But once I realised/accepted my attraction for women the thought of having a girlfriend was really nice. And this desire opened up within me to not be single anymore, and to have a girlfriend. Put simply, everything I hadn't been feeling for guys, I felt for girls.

#1 sunnyskies, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am in this exact same position. I've been stuck in it for over a year now and I can't get out as well. I've also tried to get advice from people via other sorts of threads which are relatable to this one.

Honestly, the only advice I got is go with the flow. It was really annoying to hear this, but I knew that there wasn't some magical sort of spell which could release me from this overthinking/anxiety.

My anxiety has died down for a bit, my overthinking as well, because I went on solely focussing on other things that distracted me from my thinking. Like reading books, watching tv-shows, working, etc.

Unfortunately I get the feeling of wanting to get out there, to actually have a relationship, to kiss a girl again. But this goddamn overthinking keeps me at my place and makes me scared ''what if I do not like girls anymore, suddenly? what if..''

My desires block to a point where I don't even allow myself to think about girls because ''what if I am wrong''. I have completely shut myself off. I know it's not healthy lol.

anyways, sorry for the long reply, but we are in the same boat unfortunately

(waiting for that magical spell)

3. SystemGlitch

Not all homosexual people are completely repulsed by the opposite sex - it sounds to me like you're gay, as you say that while you aren't against the idea of a heterosexual relationship it doesn't exactly push any buttons and you aren't 100% satisfied with it either.

Sexuality is a great spectrum, there are a good amount of straight/gay-identified people who have ocassional attraction towards genders outside their preference. There are a lot of shades of grey and if you have a slight attraction towards the opposite gender you could still identify as lesbian or you could identify as bisexual, depending on which feels more right to you.

If you want to, you could take the Kinsey Scale Test. It places you on a numbered scale (0-6) with heterosexuality at one end, homosexuality at the other, and bisexuality in the middle. Kinsey Scale Test There are a couple of issues (like not taking into account NB identities) but it can give you a good guess. There are a fair few people who use it to designate their sexual orientation (such as Kinsey 5 lesbian, Kinsey 0 straight, Kinsey 4 Bisexual, etc). Generally, most people consider 1 and 5 to be straight/gay (or heteroflexible/homoflexible) and consider 2 and 4 to be bisexual with a preference, but it's up to you how you want to identify. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps!

4. Sayonara

Sayonara Guest

I can relate.

5. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Loppox this is exactly how I feel! (Except that I haven't actually kissed a girl before).
    It's that voice of doubt, that even though I know I am quite likely gay, it nags in the background going "what if you're kidding yourself, what if you go through coming out and everything attached to it, meet a nice girl, and suddenly realise you're not actually gay". Like the thought terrifies me and I know it's stifling me. I think I just have to realise that the amount of time I've been attracted to women tells me that this isn't going to change. And I really hope it doesn't, because as strange as it may sound I like the fact that I like girls. (Though this view might alter a little when I properly come out and might encounter some homophobia etc....)
    I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with this for over a year now, I'm in a similar position; multiply your year by six and that's where I am. Long lengths of tangling yourself into knots over your sexuality is certainly painful. It really sucks you have been blocking your thoughts about women - I think I did this for a long time and only in the last ten months or so have I been unable to block out how I really feel any longer and have let myself really think about things. The more I've allowed myself to think about and acknowledge my feelings for women the more I realise how strong they are, and it is in a strange way liberating. I only hope you one day get comfortable enough to let yourself think about your feelings too. x
    Thank you for your input, it's always comforting to know that someone else has or is experiencing what I am. The general advice I have gotten is go with the flow too, which I know is probably the right thing to do, but like you I overthink, I overanalyse, and I like to be on firm ground, to understand myself, before I make the next move.
    Here's hoping we eventually get there!! x

SystemGlitch this is good to know. My understanding of being gay has always been that it would be so obvious to yourself if you were because the thought of being intimate with guys was offputting, but the thought of being intimate with a woman wasn't. I have been starting to realise lately that maybe this isn't always the case, and have been trying to get past my misguided idea of what being gay 'felt' like.
    I've found the Kinsey scale fantastic in understanding that sexuality is indeed a spectrum, and it's been so handy throughout my journey so far. However whenever I take the test it usually places me way too high on the heterosexual end of the spectrum. This could be because I am uncertain about guys, and also that I've had not much experience with relationships/intimacy in general. I instead just use the spectrum as a referencing point, and place myself where I think I might be. Homoflexible/Kinsey 5 is what I think I have most identified with - and I really don't think I could call myself bisexual, at least not at this stage.
    Thank you for your advice and opinion, it has indeed been helpful, particularly your first statement saying that you think I might be gay given my lack of excitement toward guys; it's always nice to get some kind of outside view on how I'm feeling as oftentimes I get so trapped inside my own head. I know no one can tell me how I feel, but it is nice getting opinions. x

KipKip, it's somehow reassuring to know I am not the only one feeling this way, so thanks.

#5 sunnyskies, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016