1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

did

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MyNameIsAdam, May 29, 2013.

1. SilverGirl

hun, dont worry about asking too many questions! we are to help you! so feel free to ask anything you want! we will do our best to help you! :grin:

2. MyNameIsAdam

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! So glad to have other people to talk to. :slight_smile:

3. MyNameIsAdam

Okay, I have a few more questions... this one is causing me tons of anxiety, and it's my main question- how am I supposed to deal with it if this turns out not to be a phase? I mean, it's been more than a year and my feelings about this have been for the most part unwavering, and until now I haven't thought ahead much. 99% of me is sure that this is who I am- that I'm a boy, which is what makes me happiest and ultimately most comfortable- but part of me is STILL telling me that I'm a girl, which doesn't feel right but seems more acceptable. It's not even that I feel like a girl; I just tell myself that I am one and I'm gonna stay that way, which... I just don't want. So... how can I tell what's really going on? And how do I go about transitioning if the need arises, for lack of a better term?

4. SilverGirl

well im not sure how to transition because im not doing it yet either

im seeing a gender therapyst and next week im going to tell my mother about it, and then ill see what my therapyst says i should do

but about your confusion, this part of you that is telling you that you are a girl, you think its because perharps you are afraid if people are goint to accept you? well, the right thing to do would be what YOU want to be, not what someone else wants you to be, some people might not like it and hate you or whatever, but if they do that, these people just arent your friends really and you shouldnt care about what they have to say to you

5. MyNameIsAdam

That's what I've been thinking... it feels like I'm going to get made fun of and the whole situation is causing me a lot of stress in general. I'm insecure enough as it is; and I want desperately to be a guy, but I'm almost afraid to accept that because I'm scared that I'll end up regretting it in the long run... and I guess I'm still having trouble accepting it myself.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I think what it all comes down to is this- if it's worth living the rest of your life as a woman that doesn't match who you are or becoming the person, the man, you want to be. Now I don't speak from a position where I've gotten crap for my gender identity for I was homeschooled and realized I was trans* only recently, so in how to deal with that I have no concrete idea. But if you're ready to transition, push on mon aimon.

Transition is a very individual process. Some people might go on hormones, get top and or bottom surgery. Others might do top and nothing else. Still more never medically transition and are content with binding/altering dress. But I would advise getting a gender therapist. They'll be able to give you an outlet for your feelings and open doors should you want to go on hormones and change your name, etc.

7. MyNameIsAdam

That really puts it into perspective.... I mean, when you say it like that, all I get is this horrible feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach- like, I REALLY don't want that. I guess I'm just kind of worried it might be a phase, even though truly I know that it's not. I think the whole "worried about it being a phase" thing stems from the fact that what I've seen on television and read in books about being transgender isn't like what I've experienced- for instance, when I was a kid I wasn't super masculine, nor was I overly feminine. I didn't know from age five, it just started happening recently. And so did the feelings about being uncomfortable with my body; before now it just kind of... was. Until about a year and a half ago, it was kind of like I was just a person, with no gender. But honestly, if you asked me what gender I am right now, I would have to say male...

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Honestly that was one of my biggest struggles, and still is, when it comes to my identity- if it's all a phase. But the thing is, these are common feelings that pretty much every trans* person has- if these feelings are legitimate, if they're just a phase. When it comes to accepting anything as far as gender or even orientation goes, doubt is normal. It's a frightening thing accepting that you're not part of the cisgendered/heteronormative mold that society lays out, and perfectly normal to have doubts or second guesses.

The trans* experience varies from person to person. I, myself, had been resigned to living as a woman and had really never bothered questioning myself until recently. I was depressed, chaffing against my role as a woman and inability to feel secure as a woman. I learned about what it meant to be a trans* man and after questioning and looking over my past, came to the conclusion that I'm trans*.

What you see given out as the typical trans* experience is vastly different from the reality. Being transsexual is far more than the "trapped in the wrong body, certain from 18 months" view that the media and society perpetuates. There's people who knew from an early age and then people who didn't know until they were middle aged. And then there's varying degrees of dysphoria and expression. Gender is a spectrum, much like sexuality, and what label you figure out is a highly personal process.

9. MyNameIsAdam

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not alone.... I've spent the past year and a half doubting myself, and it feels like crap. I'd have to say that this is my major struggle, followed by several other, slightly smaller things (but believe me, I've got more than enough troubles for one person) - but at the moment I'm kind of stuck, and while I'm becoming more and more sure that this is who I'm meant to be, I'm unsure how to move forward...

10. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Let me put this into another perspective.

If society were completely tolerant, and if you were actually praised instead of disowned or insulted for being trans*, would you feel comfortable transitioning, or would you still have doubt?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that.. your life is not about other people determining what you should do and how to live, and be happy. If you're doubting transitioning because of society, that's perfectly okay. Everyone does. Every single trans* person has felt doubt because of fear, fear of rejection, fear of becoming a second-class citizen, fear of losing privileges and rights that cis people hold. I will bet my life that you will never run into somebody whom identifies as trans*, and says that they haven't felt doubt. If they do, they're bullshitting you.

For me, I came out as a transman to my entire family and school and I'm going down the medical transition road and I'm still preoccupied with doubts. I sometimes wonder if it's worth it. If it's worth being trans* in a cishet world. If I said I'm not scared, I would be lying to you and everyone else. But why do I keep going? Because I'm male. I'm a guy who unfortunately went under a genetic failure. I can't conform to what society says and live as female just to please everyone else. I have to live for myself, not for others.

It's a really, really long and tedious process and it's anxiety-inducing... and it's upsetting. But take a couple steps back and think about what you really want. You're not alone at all, dude. Not even close to being alone.

As for moving forward.. it'll take some time. I wish it happened with a snap of our fingers, in a short time frame, alas it does not. You'll have to be the most patient person you can possibly be. It'll probably take years before anything can start, especially if your parents aren't very accepting and it's harsh. But one day, it'll happen. And you have to hold onto that goal, and know that at one point, if this is what you need to do, you can accomplish it. It's tough, it becomes unbearable at times, but there's always a resource and these things do happen.

11. MyNameIsAdam

Thank you for your wonderful advice... Having people to talk to, even more so those who understand what I'm going through, is amazingly helpful. And I'm sorry to be asking so many questions... And sorry for saying sorry so much. I'm just apologetic by nature. :slight_smile:

I've still got loads of questions, but we'll just go one at a time, I don't want to question-overload you... One of my big questions is pronouns. Obviously I'd prefer to be called "he" and "Adam" instead of my birth name, and at school not a single person knows anything about what's going on- but I don't think I'm ready to tell them just yet. How do I deal with being called "she" and "her" all day, every day?

12. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Unfortunately, until you come out to your parents or let people know of your preferred pronouns, you'll have to live with being referred to by female pronouns. Even people close to me still slip up.. and it's been a few months. It's hard for people to make a switch like that. I even misgender myself on accident and refer to myself as "she" without even realizing. After 17 years, it's even tough for me to break into habit; I'm just so used to being referred as female it's embedded into my brain even though I know I'm male.

For right now.. you have to remind yourself and nobody knows just yet and that they aren't intentionally calling you those pronouns out of disrespect. Whenever someone says, "she/her", just remember that they aren't aware yet and it's why you aren't hearing "he/him". It sucks, but there's not a lot of options when you're still closeted.

13. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Won't lie, having to hear nothing but "she", "her" is at best, grating, and at worst stomach churning. I find, honestly, that the best thing for me to deal with that is to have a place like EC or my LGBT support group where I can request male pronouns, be called Byron or Ron, and otherwise be recognized as a man.

Now you'll have to come out at some point for a wide adoption of the correct pronouns so the best I can suggest is to, again, at least have an outlet where you can be recognized as male. If at all possible, would you be able to make it to an LGBT support group or GSA? Somewhere where you can be 'out' without everyone and their mother knowing?

14. This!! Yes!!
    Words of Wisdom (!)

15. MyNameIsAdam

I live in a pretty conservative town, so there's nothing of the sort.... actually, EC is the closest I have... honestly, I've never heard anybody say my preferred name out loud... even with my best friend, the only time she calls me Adam is when we're texting, and even then she still slips up and calls me by my birth name sometimes. It's hard, but I know I don't have a lot of options... but I'm still scared. Reluctant would be a better word- but maybe I'm just not ready. I wish birthday wishes and shooting stars really worked; if they did, I wouldn't be in this whole mess and neither would anyone else. :-(

16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Don't feel bad for being scared/reluctant. Especially in a conservative town, being trans* is hardly a piece of cake, walk on the boardwalk, what have you not. I mean, I come from the west, I'm an hour from Portland and frankly, being out as a transman is a daunting if not anxious inducing concept at this point.

So at this point, maybe you're not ready. And that's fine. Transitioning is a stressful process, it's daunting, and you'll be ready one day, but it's not something you have to do tomorrow or even a week from now. But when that day comes, it'll be worth it. :slight_smile:

And with you on the wishes. Yeah... If only...

17. MyNameIsAdam

Part of me is excited to transition, and part of me is scared... but I guess that's a normal reaction, especially considering a lot of stuff scares me anyway...
    Ugh, I just had another fight with my mom... Once again, I tried to talk to her (calmly and gently) and it ended with her insisting that the reason I feel this way is because "you want to feel like you're a part of some special group" and that I'm "overreaching" for the cause of my depression. Seriously?!?!? Why would I want this??? Argh!! I'm so frustrated and hurt and angry.... I mean, I understand that she's having a hard time, but I just wish she didn't have to be so blatantly insulting about it! I mean, she could at least make am effort to understand; do some research or something. I'M trying to be understanding- why isn't she???

---------- Post added 31st May 2013 at 11:48 PM ----------

*an

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

She doesn't know what you're going through and as a cisgendered woman- even if she does accept you- she'll never fully understand how you feel or who you are.

Now, I wasn't there, quite obviously, and even just reading your side of the story's sickening. It just astounds me to no end that people can be so narrow minded, especially when they're family.

I think, right now, the best you can do is to hold your head high. You know who you are. She doesn't. Now, to give her just a little credit, she was the woman who birthed you, who saw the ultrasound and determined her perception of you before she even had a diaper to change or clothes and a crib to buy. She, and most of America, are raised in a society where parts determine gender and "men are men", "women are women" because of certain societal demands based on what's in one's pants. You can transcend that.

If all goes well, she'll turn around, finally understand, and embrace the fact that she has a son. And that, at this point, is the best any of us can hope for.

Stay strong.

19. MyNameIsAdam

I know the only options i have at this point are to wait until I'm 18 and then hightail it out of here or just ignore her... but I don't know how well either of those options are going to work. I just wish she could accept me... but it's obvious that's not going to happen for a while, do you have any suggestions on how to deal with it? I mean, the worst part is, she's given me that speech on how "I'll love you no matter what" and I know she does love me, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it... But I'm just glad I've got a support group waiting for me here at EC.