1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I screw up ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SomeAverageBoy, Jan 13, 2018.

1. SomeAverageBoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So yesterday in my maths class, this guy was talking to my teacher (some teachers in my school often casually chat with their students) and when they got to the touchy subject of gender, the guy started saying some transphobic things (it wasn’t just “gender-fluidity skepticism” it was Full-on transphobic, he said some things that I don’t think I’m allowed to say here) A lot of people in the class agreed with him and only my teacher was the real “opposition” to the argument, so I started to call him out for it. It wasn’t a very heated argument (we were on two sides of the classroom and we both let the other one speak) but there was a bit of tension, though I managed to keep my cool troughout the whole thing. It was basically me vs half the class (the other class was silent or spectating) but nothing escalated fortunately and after class we just got on with the rest of the day.

Now the reason why I think I messed up is because I’ve always been told not to get involved in an argument unless it personally affects me, though I consider myself a trans-ally, I’m also cis. And I’m afraid that this tiny argument might spread and I might be ridiculed for it, I’m unsure :/

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say well done to all of the participants for not getting into a heated argument, and allowing each other to talk. If the half of the class respect you in argument then I'm sure they wouldn't ridicule you for it outside of the argument.

#2 Secrets5, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SomeAverageBoy....This is 2018, while I know that society has not changed completely and certainly not everywhere, I don't think that speaking up about any LGBTQ related topic automatically brands you anymore. If someone starts making smarta** comments :old_mad: just remind them that people of African-descent where once considered not to be human and we know now just how much of a prejudiced attitude that was. Tell them that just because someone is different, doesn't mean we should treat them like garbage. It's never wrong to stand up for others who are being bullied or devalued. You can say that is how you feel and you can not just sit there and listen to those kind of comments without trying to help people understand what diversity means. It's one thing to ask questions or say that you don't understand, but being transphobic or homophobic is just plain old prejudice. I just was thinking that being heterophobic is just as bad! I wonder how they would feel if someone started saying terrible heterophobic things around them....would they like that? Why not ask them and see what they have to say! :old_rolleyes:. .....David

4. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, you did the right thing.
    Never be afraid to get involved in a debate even if it doesn't affect you. You may be cis but you still have a brain and an ability to form opinions and thoughts on the matter. Same with anything else. Don't be afraid to get involved unless it truly is a personal matter(like between individuals).