1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demi-romantic for a specific gender?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ArsnicD, Dec 27, 2020.

1. ArsnicD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I’m ace, I don’t experience sexual
    attraction at all. But I do experience romantic attraction. I have the capability to experience romantic attraction to any gender but I need an emotional connection with a guy before I experience the attraction, it’s not just a preference I literally won’t experience the attraction without it. However I don’t need that connection to have romantic attraction to women. As for nonbinary ppl I don’t know anyone but me and my sibling who are nb irl, so I don’t know where that fits in with my sexuality. Is this just me? Is there a label for this? Am I broken?

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are people who will say that anyone who is asexual or even on the asexual spectrum have emotional issues. I do not think that however, so I do not think that you are broken or necessarily have emotional issues. I have known and still know people IRL who simply have no interest in sex, some still have romantic attraction (I have one friend who I see regularly who is like this) while some are also aromantic (my exhusband is aro ace). I am uncertain of a particular label that would designate exactly what you are describing.

I myself only really find myself attracted to men if I have build an emotional relationship with them, though I can have sexual attraction also (I only came to this conclusion after being in a relationship with my current boyfriend, prior to that I said that I could not experience attraction to men at all). I say that I am demisexual (only experience sexual attraction after emotional bonding) and that I am panromantic. To split up what you describe it might be called asexual (no sexual attraction to anyone) and gyneromantic (romantically attracted to women/femininity) and demiandroromantic (only attracted to men/masculine after being emotionally connected).

For some this is unnecessarily complex but I believe that labels are for communicating and being clear to others. I also do not think that the labels we use should limit or define us, if a label that was working for you no longer works then it should be discarded and another one found.

ArsnicD likes this.