1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with Loss...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JayeJJimenez, Nov 8, 2022.

1. JayeJJimenez

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At a little past 11AM today, my mom passed away. I'm sorry for the lack of activity on this forum on my behalf but I had personal health and my mom's issues to deal with. I'm in a state of nowhere and everywhere both physically and emotionally. I don't know how to handle this really.

2. dseag2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm new here, but I'm truly sorry to hear what you are going through. Each of our situations is different, but I lost my mother a year ago tomorrow. However, I am probably older than you and I spent 20 years of my life making sure she was happy and visiting her every weekend so I had no "what ifs" when she passed.

My only advice is that you treasure the times you spent with your mother and look back on them fondly. Also, I learned after my father passed away that I needed to take time to grieve. I didn't, and the grief would come on me suddenly and I would lose it. Please take time to grieve. Sending good thoughts your way.

resu likes this.
  3. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry for your loss, @JayeJJimenez. I don't think there really is a right or wrong way to handle this; we each must mourn in our own ways, in our own time. All you can really do is take it day by day, and do your best to take care of yourself.

Is there anyone you can talk to? Friends, family? Maybe even a grief counselor at your place of employment? Sometimes we need solitude to deal with our grief, but we also need support for when we're going through the toughest parts.

resu likes this.
  4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am sorry for you and your family’s loss. Losing someone close like a parent is so hard because of the sheer number of memories you have together. Someone described loss of a loved one like pulling all the books on a bookshelf: you will slowly add things back, but there will always be an empty space.

I highly suggest talking to a professional counselor who understands grief. As others said, please take your time, and don’t make any serious decisions when you are in this period of pain.

And feel free to keep posting here or send a private message to one of the staff when you feel ready.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Omg, I'm sorry for your loss too! I have no idea how to get through that whenever my turn comes, I'll be a wreck. Hang in there and if you're a wreck, so be it, I think it's very common. I hope those who know what to do in these times are there for you, for you to lean on if possible.

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seconding a lot of good suggestions here.

If you are close to the rest of your family, y'all can be a great source of support for each other. They are in the same boat as you- it can be very nice to discuss feelings or go down memory lane together. Friends and a therapist are also good. Basically any or all ways of talking and processing your feelings surround it.

Don't make any big decisions for awhile or do anything terribly self destructive. But ultimately, besides that there are many healthy ways to go through the grieving process.

#6 HM03, Nov 11, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Cinnamoon likes this.
  7. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey so there's nothing useful I can say that somebody else who's posted here hasn't already said. I would say though that you never need to apologise for lack of activity here or anything like that. You never need to apologise for taking time for you and to process what you're going through.

Post here if and when you want to, but never feel guilty about how much or little you do so in any way.

mnguy likes this.
  8. buzzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wishing you comfort, peace and blessings.