1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with an overtalkative brother who knows I'm trans...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So the brother I came out to, the only one in my family who I've come out to, is rather talkative. As in, loves to discuss (for hours on end) all the deep and philosophical connotations to everything involving people. Deep and philosophical is fine but it's kind of annoying when the person in question is using me as the subject of their infinite wisdom and infallible logic (which is really their opinion).

He is supportive, I guess. He's supportive in the way that he loves me still, but he's skeptical and likes to tell me what is correct or analyze my condition and offer his prognosis. Frankly, it's kind of getting on my nerves.

And because I'm a very reserved, hermit-crab sort of person, I often do not have the will/desire/capability to talk back and explain how wrong he is or how when I told him ______ I was indeed sure of that statement and do know what I'm talking about. More than he does.

This evening, he flat out said he doesn't believe asexuality is "a thing" since he cannot comprehend how someone would never, or not have the capability to, feel sexual attraction. That's easy for him to say as a cis-hetero guy. :|

Another point on these lines with this "is ace a thing?" debate is that he's made it abundantly clear that he thinks I'm covering up my sexuality because I'm afraid of being gay or something. Or that I've been "conditioned" into treating sex as taboo and therefore somehow fooled myself into avoiding it, suppressing my real and healthy desires. Ugh... I wish I could just tell him and he'd believe me when I say "I'm asexual. Means I don't, and never will, want anything to do with sex. Unless of course my sexuality changes which I find to be highly unlikely."

That annoying moment when you're being "schooled" by someone who thinks they know more than you about something involving you, but you really know more than they do and understand the subject better and thus must endure the annoyance of their pestering.

How do I deal with this, I guess is the question.

I mean, I want him to know that I appreciate his support. But I also need to figure out how to explain to him, gently, that I don't need his advice with certain things like whether transgenderism or asexuality exist.

[​IMG]

**I do realize this more has to do with asexuality than transgenderiness after I've written it but oh well**

-Rhys-

#1 Kodo, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your brother sounds like a clone of my brother. He talked to me for 5 hours, the other day, trying to persuade me that I'm not trans. The entire time he didn't listen to a word that I said and just threw out his theories that made much less sense than anything that I said.

Truthfully, the best solution is to just avoid talking to him about it. Another solution is to show no signs of doubt, do not be in the slightest bit open minded when talking to him. It's pretty much fighting fire with fire. Once he realizes that there is no way in the world for him to influence your perception or change your mind, he will most likely give up.

Beyond this, the classic way to explain asexuality is to ask a person how he knows that he is not gay. Then you say that like he knows that he is not gay, you feel the same way about not being gay or straight.

(*hug*)

Yael