1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead end when it comes to coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheOneCactus, Apr 10, 2018.

1. TheOneCactus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I originally found out I was trans (to some degree) around a year ago but I haven't really done anything since.

My family is quite tricky. Both my parents are quite liberal and from what I've seen my father sometimes (rarely) pokes fun at the LGBT community but never in a bad light and the only impression I get from my mother is that she dislikes that gay people can't really continue the bloodline for the family. They both sometimes poke fun at me when talking about relationships, asking whether it's boyfriend or girlfriend (naturally me not having a backbone and saying it's a girlfriend). My brother is only 6 so he is obviously quite accepting of most things and the only other person that lives with us is my auntie, who I quite honestly don't know her opinion on the LGBT community.
    My main concern over my family is when it comes to the grandparents and other extended parts. My entire family is eastern European and so are quite conservative so I fear if I come out there will be a lot of backlash from them. This is especially hard because unlike coming out as gay or Bi, trans means changing gender (hence appearance) which can't be masked as easily.

My friends are unfortunately a little easier to understand, around half of my friend group is extremely homophobic and the other half thankfully not so much. There are already a few gay/lesbian people in my school but their social circles are much different to mine so I doubt it would be as easy for me to come out as it was for them.

Who should I come out to first? Are there any specific techniques? Anybody who I shouldn't tell

2. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't tell anyone who isn't going to be supportive. You don't want the first people you come out to to show you animosity.

3. Daisyrin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Tell anyone you feel like, even if you know they won't be supportive. If you feel like it's important for them to know, don't be afraid to say it. If they don't like it, that's that. Maybe their opinion will change, maybe it won't but you need to remember that all that matters is that you accept yourself and are comfortable with who you are. It's easy to get caught up in wondering what other people would think or how they'd react but bad reactions really won't matter in a few years time and you'll just remember them as little bumps along the way. Hope that helped a bit :slight_smile:

4. mfd1604

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m not yet out myself, but I’ve read a few great pieces of advice online :slight_smile:
    1: give people time to accept you, it’s taken you a long time to accept you for you (rightfully so!), so be sure to give others the same chance :slight_smile:
    2: ‘if they mind they don’t matter, if they don’t mind they matter’

Good luck in your journey!!