1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Silence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nisomer, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Jerr

Who cares if your school supports it... YOU do it.

I was the ONLY one at my school to do it... PERIOD. I did... I wrote on a piece of paper explaining to a teacher where she could go to find out more and I wrote a FAQ kinda thing to help people who asked.

2. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

wow thats really awesome. i didnt even start school yet

3. Jeimuzu

Yes, but they were usually doing more active things than being silent for a day. And to be honest, even 450,000 people being silent... that's still not going to change a politician's mind - especially if it's simply an enforced thing, like it seems to be in some places.

I agree that it can be a mark of respect for those dead because of their sexuality. I totally agree with it on that point, but I don't think it'll actively change anything regarding people's beliefs. Anyone doing it as a mark of respect for people like Matthew Shepard, then I have the utmost respect in that decision, and it's totally cool by me.

4. Well, that's why we need more support when it comes to this event. If, say, a million people or more were to take part in the Day Of Silence, there would be more media attention and more people's minds would be changed because of that added attention.

However, you seem to be pretty concrete in your thoughts that this event is ridiculous or unhelpful to the LGBT community and you're entitled to your opinion.