1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Savage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Jun 17, 2013.

?

What is your opinion of Dan Savage?

1. Positive

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. Negative

31 vote(s)
    43.1%
  3. Neutral/Indifferent

20 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. Other (state below)

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. biggayguy

You said it well.

2. Hun

Hun

I'll just spare the rant and say: Hate is not a strong enough word to descirbe how I feel about that transphobic, biphobic asshole.

3. castle walls

I couldn't agree more. Some of his biphobic and transphobic statements are disgusting. I hate that he is often seen as the GSM (gender and sexuality minorities) spokesperson

4. BadCanadaJoke

Sure to bash on you but you are all IGNORANT and talk shit about one of the BEST gay spokespeople/activists. I have watched ALL his videos on youtube and I am a huge fan of his podcast. Not once has he said anything that could be translated as bi or transphobic.
    Nor is he a prude(although he would disagree) since he;s able to talk about sex a milion times more comfortably than I could!!

Just watch these videos I just found for you...

Dan Savage on the Existence of Bisexuality - YouTube

Dan Savage: Biphobic? Transphobic - YouTube

5. MerBear

Never heard of him so...

6. BadCanadaJoke

*sorry,not sure:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:P
    Sorry:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Hun

Hun

A few of his quotes.
    “Sorry, but avoiding bi guys is a good rule of thumb for gay men looking
    for long-term relationships. Outside of San Francisco’s
    alternate-universe bisexual community, there aren’t many bi guys who
    want or wind up in long-term, same-sex relationships — monogamous or
    not.”

"I’m not saying bi guys are bad people, or they don’t make great one-night stands. Bushes, bathhouses, and sleazy gay bars are crawling with bi guys. But if a guy wants more, he’ll have an easier time getting it from another gay man."

“I meet someone who’s 19-years-old who tells me he’s bisexual and
    I’m like, ‘Yeah, right, I doubt it. I tell them come back when you’re
    like 29 and we’ll see.’”

Questioner: "I’m a lesbian, and my girlfriend is
    bisexual and wants to have a three-way with a man. This makes me
    nervous. What should I do?"
    DAN: "Get yourself a refillable Xanax prescription, or get yourself an actual lesbian girlfriend."

"Children have a right to some stability and constancy from the adults in their lives. Perhaps I’m a transphobic bigot, but I honestly think waiting a measly 36 months to cut your dick is a sacrifice any father should be willing to make for his 15-year-old son. Call me old-fashioned.

Unfortunately, your ex wasn’t willing to make that sacrifice (selfish tranny!), or it never occurred to him to make that sacrifice (stupid tranny!)…. If your son can’t deal with having his dad/mom/whatever around right now, support him and tell his dad/mom/whatever to leave the two of you alone for the time being."

~~~

Savage is a disgusting human being - a savage, if you will. According to him, it gets better, if you're a privileged, cisgender Kinsey 6.

#27 Hun, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  8. Eatthechildren

Hate is not a strong enough word. Fuck, does the "It gets better" project even help queer youth? Maybe if you're a pretty white cis gay boy from a middle class family it does but what about the rest of us?

9. Fiddledeedee

He talks repeatedly about how for lots of people it's a phase and they may end up either straight or gay. First of all, a study found that 60-70% of bisexual youth continued to identify as bisexual over time, so his implication that most people who identify as bi aren't is incorrect. Secondly, he says that his response is basically "yeah, right". Even if most bisexual youth ended up gay, this would not be a good response; instead, it should be "Okay, I recognise that you feel this way at the moment, and whilst it may or may not change in the future, you don't think it will. Whatever happens, I'm with you."

Finally, if half of bisexuals ended up in straight relationships and half ended up in gay relationships, that would be really strange statistically, because there are a lot more straight/bi people of a different gender than gay/bi people of the same gender. This means that you'd expect most bisexuals to end up in heterosexual relationships. However, he implies that because they make statistical sense, they are somehow traitors to the LGBT community or they are not really attached to and part of it.

10. silkfrog1292

While his intention might have been good, I think he's now just basking in the media attention. His blatant ignorance about BTQ people made me view him negatively.

11. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    do you know anything about Dan Savage, like at all

12. Fiddledeedee

That's really really strong language. In the end, I dislike what he says, but it doesn't go further than that. To my knowledge, he really only says stuff (although yes, words can be and are immensely hurtful). He doesn't go around deliberately harming people as much as possible. He's not a rapist. And so on.

13. Hun

Hun

He deserves nothing less than disgust, in my opinion.

14. dazedanconfused

He's human like the rest of us. Must say I'm grateful for all he has done.

I have to admit, before I came to my understanding of 'Sexuality' as a whole, I disliked certain things/people. I didn't like/was afraid of gay people at first because of the little knowledge/experience I had. All the while I was sleeping with a guy friend of mine. Then I got a girlfriend and didn't care. I fell in love. Made a bunch of friends(gay and straight).

Then it wasn't about my 20's I was dating an open lesbian, for over 2 years and accepted myself as 'something' lol. After our break up, I really started coming to terms with the fact that I'm bisexual. And I think I disliked/feared myself more than ever because of this fact. I've been down the middle my whole life and before I understood that, I hated it.

I can relate to Dan from my own experience. I always thought it was an 'either/or' thing. That there wasn't any grey area until I met some men like myself. Who are all in monogamous relationships. Lets give the guy a break and be grateful for the good he's done rather than judge him for just not understanding.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I liked Dr. Ruth better. Can we bring her back? She was a lot nicer of a person, and not all smarmy, condescending, and catty. Plus, she had a background studying human sexuality and psychology to the postdoctoral level, whereas Savage has no such education to speak of: He's a self-styled 'expert' with dangerous delusions, not backed by science or fact. His ego constantly clouds his pronouncements.

If savage could drop the attitude, he'd be easier to stomach.

Still, this site is awesome because I have finally found others who find him annoying, and thus, I no longer feel as alone.

It's like a second coming out, it is!

16. HopeFloats

Wow. I really like Dan Savage. I started with advice column when it was in the free alternative weekly paper where I lived and still listen to the podcast weekly. He encourages bi people to come out so they wont be invisible if they're in opposite sex relationships.

17. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ^This.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    johnchrys, you're just so wrong. Like, I've even seen the first video you posted, and Dan is being a huge douche bag in there. How do you not see it? He's saying that our being in the closet is a huge reason for the hostility we face, but he doesn't acknowledge how gay people treating us like crap to begin with contributes to this dynamic. He's basically pretending it's all our fault, as though some really terrible gay and lesbian folks play no part in it. (Also, the video from GenderQueerChat does not answer this specific criticism I'm making.

He also states that we get into opposite-sex relationships and disappear from the community? Yet I have two friends on here who are in opposite-sex relationships make an effort to stay in the queer community, but get rejected by the gay guys...

#38 Pret Allez, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  19. LinkLarkin

Since coming out to my friends and subsequently joining this site, I feel as though I've really become a member of the LGBTQ community. It doesn't matter how pro-gay he is, if he's going to attack the rest of my community then he's attacking me as well.

20. Very well said.