1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Gratitude

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by looking for me, Oct 16, 2017.

1. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im grateful I woke up this morning, a privilege denied many

im grateful I have a job, even though it drives me bonkers

im grateful someone made a delicious pot of coffee break room this morning when I got in.

azzi, OGS and baristajedi like this.
  2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This morning my husband told me that he's been thinking about it and he would like to change the contingent beneficiary on his life insurance from his sister to my brother. It's true it would probably help him more but still she's his sister and all. I was oddly touched and it made me stop and think about the depth of the union not just of us but of our families. I'm grateful both for that union and for another occasion to think about it.

3. Pole star

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am grateful for the privilege of being alive.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    and as the day progresses, between clients and management it's becoming an; Im grateful I have wine chilling in the fridge.... kind of day.

baristajedi likes this.
  5. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm grateful for my two wonderful daughters who have totally accepted that I'm gay, and have happily embraced my partner as their stepdad. My oldest came home from college for a couple days and couldn't wait to hang out with us for an evening, and brought us both awesome birthday presents. Her sister is going to be confirmed at our church and chose him to be her sponsor, over several other family members. Most of all, though, they are utterly transparent in their fondness for him--and for a man who was rejected by his family for being gay, and whose wife nuked their marriage as soon as he came out to her and has manipulated their kids away from him ever since, my daughters' acceptance means much more to him than he lets on. I'm grateful that their love for me extends to this wonderful man who is still healing and so appreciates being welcomed into our family.

#45 Choirboy, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  6. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have suffered a great deal but I have much to be thankful for.

It is all how you look at things. Even on days that seem really bad there are always things to be grateful for
    Depression is a whole other topic, and we can still look for something that makes us smile in the midst of cloudy days.

I appreciate others more, that treat me right, due to the people that did not show me love in ways I needed it.

azzi, baristajedi and looking for me like this.
  7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've sort of been having this situation at work. I work in finance and it's a pretty alpha male everyone for themselves kind of industry. I've always been more of a team player, worried a little bit more about the customers and the firm than most of my coworkers. All of my previous managers have been really grateful for that and I was fortunate to feel that my work was really appreciated. I derived a lot of satisfaction from that. Until my current manager. He's sort of every man for himself too and if you're not screwing someone over you're not trying hard enough. And it kind of gets to me and I feel really unappreciated a lot of times at work now.

Well anyway there was sort of another episode with my boss yesterday. On it's own it probably wouldn't have bothered me but as part of a pattern it really kind of did a number on me. Literally a couple minutes later this client pokes his head into my office and says: "You know, I just couldn't imagine this place without you. Even if I'm not working with you that day at some point during my visit I'll hear that big booming laugh of yours and think 'yeah, this is where I want to do business'." I thanked him and asked him what I could do for him and he replied that he didn't actually need anything that day, he just wanted to drop by and thank me for everything I've done for him over the years.

So, I'm grateful for people who go out of their way to be kind and express their appreciations--there are so many of them. And I'm grateful for how the universe sometimes sends you just what you need in that moment.

looking for me and baristajedi like this.
  8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm thankful for (in no particular order) a safe place to live, good food and beverages, strong body, family, clean water, electricity, computer, internet, car, warm showers, soap, clean laundry, TVs, cell phone, comfy bed/pillows/linens, furnace, refrigerator, stove, clothes and so much more. I often get sucked down by depression and anxiety, think everything sucks, get very negative, sad and it obscures, if not blocks my view of all the good. I often think with so much good I shouldn't be depressed, but that's not how depression works. It's frustrating because I know I'm fortunate and I feel bad for all the people suffering through natural disasters and other very desperate conditions. I try to practice not judging myself for depression and its effects since then I feel worse. I try practicing mindfulness and to appreciate all that I take for granted and realize how much there is to be thankful for. I often falter at that, but it's a practice and try to accept that some days I can do it better than others.

looking for me and Choirboy like this.
  9. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hugs MN guy hope your day is going well.
    Depression is very hard to deal with.

looking for me likes this.
  10. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm grateful that I have a supportive group of friends
    I'm grateful for my orchestra and choir director putting in so much extra time for us
    I'm grateful that I have had the opportunity to learn so many amazing things

11. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im grateful that, on this cold night, i have wood to burn in my fireplace and keep my home toasty warm.

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    today I am grateful for this as I posted in the gender forum;
    so im just a bit over 7 months on HRT, I was at a pflag meeting last night and my friend sat next to me and of course we chatted most of the meeting, haha. at one point she leaned in and said 'your boobs are getting bigger, you definitely have some development there.' and 'you're going to need a bra soon....' big smile on her face...... oh WOW.

silverhalo likes this.
  13. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What a beautiful post. Im grateful for this. I'm grateful to my parents for giving me this life, just that is the best. I'm grateful for every action that has brought to be who I am right now. Im grateful to my teachers, to my friends, to my colleagues, to my clients, to my enemys, you are amazing too. I'm grateful to my beautiful daughters. I'm grateful to every man and woman that ever came out, at whatever place along your journey you might be. I'm grateful for your courage and humility. I'm grateful for every one of you here on EC, from the very first idea to begin EC and everyone along the way, and word written and shared. I'm grateful to have found the self courage to look in the mirror each day and know who I am. I'm grateful for every tiny insignificant action and kindness that makes you who are and me who I am. Thank you.

14. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    today i am grateful i can have a lazy day with my son, home from university, enjoying traditional Newfoundland music and planning a nice dinner for us in a warm house while the wind howls outside.

#54 looking for me, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  15. junebug99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sending HUGS right back!

16. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so grateful that i could go to speech therapy today, and get started on feming my voice. the therapist says we can get really good results.

17. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i had Trans* support group last night and we were talking about coming out, and my coming out in the spring, and I had a melt down like all my fears came at me the same time. a hugh wave or terror really. but I am so grateful, so very grateful for the people who came to help me in that meeting, I don't think I could have gotten through that with out these, my friends. so today I am Grateful for friends who understand and how they just came to me when I needed them the most.

silverhalo likes this.
  18. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm grateful for my incredibly strong, beautiful wonderful partner. I'm grateful for my daughter and her amazing laugh. I'm grateful for my ex, for his comforting face and being able to still hear him tell bad puns and have Sunday afternoons with him, my partner and all the kids. I'm grateful to have my partner's boys in my life and my daughter's life.

I'm grateful for my family and the opportunity to see them in the spring and bring my partner and her kids with me and into my big, loud, awkward and loving family.

I'm grateful my ex's family still love me.

19. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im grateful for my voice therapy, for being able to sort of pass on the phone this morning. the client really wasnt sure what i was from the tone of her voice LOL. and im grateful it's friday and i get to socialize with people like me this weekend, instead of being alone.

20. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm grateful that my best friend/boy of my dreams is becoming more more confident socially and is taking steps to be happy.