1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad wants me to be more "feminine"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GayNurse95, May 13, 2014.

1. Lipstick Leuger

(!)

2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm with everyone else - wear what you like and what makes you comfortable. I've made a lot of the same little changes you have - wearing men's clothes, using men's products, binding - and my parents have noticed, too. My mom is very indifferent. My dad keeps asking me if I'm a lesbian. Thankfully I lucked out, and neither of them have questioned my expression or demanded that it change. Maybe that has something to do with my teenage goth thing? :roflmao:

That doesn't mean I've escaped criticism. My extended family has made negative comments about me looking "mannish", and my one aunt for sure is highly disapproving, but I don't like her much so her disapproval only adds fuel to the fire. My grandma got very confrontational with me about it, to the point of touching me/tugging at my clothes to make her point (I detest all physical contact), wondering what happened to all the nice dresses I used to make. My ex was uncomfortable with my expression - not because he disapproves of me, but because he likes very feminine lady types. He even went so far as to say he wished I would be more feminine because I would be prettier then - not because he finds me unattractive, but because he can't look past his own preferences. People judge people that don't fit into their narrow heteronormative binaristic view of the world. That doesn't make you in the wrong or unattractive. It just makes their viewpoints narrow.

So, hey. Water off a duck's back, keep doing what you like and what makes you happy. They can disapprove all they want, it doesn't make their way right and your way wrong.

3. Nick07

Can somebody tell me what the difference between butch and ftm is? Because if she binds and goes with male pronouns, I am a bit lost. Thank you

4. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A butch uses female pronouns and identifies as a masculine woman. An FtM prefers male pronouns and identifies as a guy.

5. Lipstick Leuger

Ftm are males that are born in the wrong body. They are born with a female body by mistake, even though they are male in their brain and know they are male. They will bind to help their outside image match the image they are in their brains.

Butches are lesbians that have masculine energy. They may or may not use masculine pronouns. It depends on the butch. They usually, or almost always, will bind or wear a sports bra, not because they want to be or look male, but because they don't really see breasts as a sexual object so much.

People get really confused because they see Ftms bind and they see Butches bind and they assume it is for the same reasons They are NOT for the same reasons. Ftms are males, and males don't have breasts that protrude. To be men they get rid of female identifiers. Butches are not males and don't want to be, they usually bind as they really don't put much stock in breasts, seeing them as just there and not important.

I hope this makes sense and helps a bit.

6. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do use female pronouns. Thats not a problem at all. I sometimes have a hard time putting my finger on what I am. I might make a separate post on it.