1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CV photo problems

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mihael, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am looking for a job and there is a person from the university careers service who helps students with CVs and similar things. I didn't put my photo on the CV for several reasons:
    - I have depression and I'm sick and tired, making photos is stressful and it takes effort to decide what to wear, do the hair and makeup, I also have a lot to do for school and the next time I will have free time and will not be on a vacation trip may be even March, I might have time for meeting friends, it's a fun activity and I need it, but making photos is stressful and I can't afford doing stressful things atm
    - I am growing my hair out and in about a month or two my haircut will be different. The lady who helps with CVs said that the main reason my ID photo isn't good is that it isn't up to date because of the haircut. The photo was made when I was graduating high school and I have super long hair on it and I see how it contrasts with my short hair now. However, I think I feel better with chin length hair and it's very soon (until March for sure) that I will reach this hair length, so the photo with short hair will not be up to date too.
    - I am hesitant about putting my photo on the CV, because I am a programmer and a lot of people say that I look like a humanities major. The explanation that I came up with and consulted it with a friend is that I am a girl and I'm good looking. People think that a programmer should look nerdy, you know, braces, thick glasses, an shaggy cardigan, maybe overweight, wears a braid or has unkempt hair, things like that. And I take care of my looks and I'm thin, fit, don't wear glasses, I dress fashionably. In addition, being a girl doesn't help with looking like a programmer, people think girls can't code. Or maybe if I was a guy (not only the inside of my skull), then my general style of dress wouldn't strike people as not-engineer-enough.
    - I am also hesitant to put my photo on the CV because a lot of men can't get past my looks and see me only as an attractive woman, and skip the personality. I wouldn't like that to happen in job search. I want to have at least an initial chance to present myself from the meritorical side. It has nothing to do with the way I dress, my style is rather casual or if I go to an exam or something, I dress in a shirt and slacks.

All that is fine, however, I can't tell the lady who helps with CVs everything, because my reasons are long, vague and complex. A lot of it is simple aversion too. I don't want to be convinced that I'm wrong. I don't feel like it. When you start to explain things like that, people trybto convince you that you are wrong. However, this lady isn't me and she hasn't seen things from my perspective. It might look like just a photo and standing out as severe when not putting it from her perspective, but from my perspective, I have a problem with how I look. It has caused me some real problems or at least many unpleasant comments.

Additionally, I can't tell her about the depression, people are very misinformed about depression and I'm not willing to talk about it with anyone, especially with a stranger, contrary to popular beliefs depression is a physical illness, at least mine is, it has absolutely nothing to do with anything mental or psychological whatsoever, but it sucks the drive and patience out of me and I need to avoid stress to recover. Also the information about growing hair out doesn't sound like something I want to talk about or that one would tell somene with whom you're on professional terms. And to hell with that, I don't want to talk about the nonexistent relationship between the way I code and the way I look. I don't hide that it's a touchy subject for me.

The question is: what do I tell her about the photo or rather lack thereof?

2. smurf

Phew, deep breaths. You are talking yourself into a horror scenario. Its going to be okay :slight_smile:

The trick to doing this is to keep it short and honest.

"I would really like help with my CV, but I don't want to worry about the picture for now. Can you help me?"

That will usually get someone to know exactly what you need help with and agree to do it. If she says that you really need the picture you can just say "I completely hear you, but I want to work on the rest of the CV before even talking about the picture. Can you help me with that?" If the person says anything about the picture again then find a new person to help you.

Unless you have stumbled upon a complete asshole of a person then you should be able to find someone who will just focus on the rest of your CV before event talking about a picture. Once you finish your CV you can either tell them you will do that at a later time or focus on it. Up to you.

These people are there to help you. Truly help you. Just let them know how they can best serve you.

I know some countries use pictures, but I would talk with someone in your industry about it all. I know you are a guy, but since your worries seem to be being perceived as a woman then talk to other women coders to see how they handle this problem in your country. From my experience a lot of coders are trans so this might not be as bad as you think. See if you can track down someone else who is trans and coding to get some advice.

Mihael likes this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, this lady tried to teach me how to marketing :wink: and said that dressing in a less grey-and-undecorated way might be worth giving a shot, but she didn't realise that I have a long history of hearing such statements and that dressing in a way that attracts attention makes me feel uncomfortable, because I'm not touchy-feely at all, and it makes people go touchy-feely. I'd much rather wear a big hoodie and forget about it. She might not like it, but I like to wear colours like grey and black and don't like wearing jewelry. I'm sure she means well, but I heard it so many times that I should dress up, because "you would look so pretty" and "dress like a girl for once".

We already discussed the CV and dealt with everything else, it seems and she mentioned the photo during the meeting, I politely nodded and didn't discuss it further. She is the person who is sending my CV to firms, so I said I will do the corrections we discussed during the meeting and send her the CV. Then I received an email back with new corrections and the question about the photo. I don't know what to reply about it. I can't pretend I forgot about it or didn't hear it. I admit I might be overreacting, because I'm already sick and tired of the topic of how I look impacting my life in a negative way. I'm also using a female name, but I dress like a guy, so it's not like the teachers don't know completely, but if someone is slower to notice such things, then I didn't explicitly state that I am a guy.

Talking to other women in the industry about it seems like a good idea. I'm seeing a friend tomorrow so I will ask her what she thinks about it. Reaching out to other trans programmers also seems like a good idea.

4. smurf

Ah, yeah. Okay that changes things a bit. If you really don't want to spend energy on it I would let her know that you will be working on this and that you will contact her once you are ready to submit your CV.

I'm surprised your school doesn't offer free professional pictures at events through out the year. You might be able to ask about this and that way you can buy yourself some time.

Yeah, sorry. It fucking sucks. You got this though. Give yourself permission to take breaks and then tackle this once you have more energy to do it or better advice from people that get where you are coming from.

Mihael likes this.
  5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh that would be very convenient. But it doesn't happen where I live at universities. I remember pictures being taken in high school.

I'll try to come up with a brief explanation that I don't want to put a photo in the CV. One sentence or two.

Of course she can't know how I'm feeling about all this. I haven't said a word and I was being polite to her all the time and saying that all ideas are good. Honestly, I trust that she knows better what she is doing and most of her corrections sounded like the way to go.

I'm also hesitating whether to tell her that I'm transgender and that I felt uncomfortable when she was talking about dressing more feminine. Of course I respect the right of other women to like to dress this way and that for them it might feel liberating, however, this isn't the case for me.

No need to be sorry, I didn't say it was in an email.

6. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're supposed to put a photo on a CV? They never told us that in high school when my one English teacher had us make one for a grade...