1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cure for cancer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Perseus, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Perseus

So people found a cure for cancer back in 2011 but because major pharmaceutical companies make a lot of money off their expensive medicines, they decide not to do anything about this. All companies think about is making profit these days that they don't do anything about saving lives.

-http://www.sott.net/article/228583-Scientists-cure-cancer-but-no-one-takes-notice

2. Nikky DoUrden

Has Cancer been cured in Canada? - Yahoo Answers

I agree that pharmaceutical sux, I heard about something similar back then saying they don't cooperate together to find a cure for cancer because they want the patent to be their own so they'll get more money.
    c'est la vie.

About this particular one, I did some search on the internet and it seems this cure isn't 100% and needs more research, as it usually goes for new cures.

In other words, as the guy from the link I gave said, lets not over-react until we know its a cure for sure.
    But ye, I agree that they should put more effort even though it can't be patented, why the goverment doesn't takes responsiblity and give them money for research then? :grin:

3. Sarcastic Luck

Cancer is a very broad term and there's not going to be a one stop, cure all for it.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is no such thing as a cure for [all] cancer because cancer is an artifact of our DNA and thus biology itself. That link is totally misleading and basically uses a lot of pseudoscience to act like it is revealing some conspiracy. It reeks of weasel words, at least for me because I'm studying medicinal chemistry.

Dichloroacetate does have side effects, some of which are dangerous. Also, the whole discussion about mitochondria is completely ignorant of basic cell biology. Mitochondria are not cells; they are organelles, intracellular components. Mitochondria are primarily working as energy producers for cells; they aren't just for cancer.

For an explanation that clearly describes the controversy with references to actual peer-reviewed publications, read this.
    Dichloroacetate (DCA)

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This article is complete and other bull. As someone who has had family members both survive and pass away for cancer, seeing articles like this is infuriating. One would have to be really gullible to believe they are even remotely true. Cancer varies from person to person, there are no two cases alike, so it would be impossible for a one cure all. My Dad survived Prostate Cancer by getting female hormone shots, and radiation. Two of my cousins were not so lucky. The one got his from mercury, because ate too many fish out of a contaminated river, he even went to one of the best cancer centers in the country, had to move 3 states away, and still didn't make it. My other cousin, she died from Breast Cancer, she had been fighting it for as long as I can remember, and it still beat her. If this article was true, then my cousins would alive, but they are not, because this article is bull.

Besides the fact that my cousins are dead, do you want to know how I know that this article is fake? Just look at the information provided. It says

The mitochondria is not a cell, it the work horse for cells, everything that has living cells has mitochondria, humans, animals, and plants, all have mitochondria. And as far as I know, plants do not get cancer.

Also the part about lactic acid and Glycolysis is untrue.

Lactic acid forms in your muscles and joints, that is what causes them to crack, like when someone cracks their fingers. It is not only produced in Glycolysis, but also in everyday exercise, and is we can also get it from the food we eat.

This article also mentions turning off Glycolysis, while it is true the Glycolysis does produce lactic acid, it also produces fat, and fat is what gives us energy, hence that is why we burn fat. It we do not have Glycolysis, we would die. So this might be an effective cure is it turns off Glycolysis, because there will be no cancer, because we would all be dead.

Sources:

Glycolysis

Mitochondria

Lactic Acid

6. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I second phoenix89, the article is completely wrong. It's easy to see pharmaceutical companies as the bad guys because of our "me vs world" mentality but the people who run those companies both:
    have a slight sense of decency
    realize that releasing a cancer cure-all (which doesn't exist) would get them shitloads more money than if they hoarded it for two years and let another company find the secret and release it first

In summary this article is complete and utter horsepoopy (#badwordsbadpeopleamirite)

7. Data

Data Guest

The mitochondria is an organelle. >_>

Credibilty of the article is lost right away.