1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crushing on a depressed straight guy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tommycee, Jul 2, 2018.

1. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've never been the one to fall for straight guys, but I may have finally done it. So there's this guy that I had classes with all school year but didn't fall for him until like the last two weeks of school. He just graduated so I probably won't see him again unless it's in town. I'm not sure why I just randomly fell for him. It's the weirdest thing to me. He's cute and seems like a really sweet guy. He has depression, which normally would be a red flag for me, but there's just something about him. Every time I see him post about being sad or his depression it makes me sad because he is a good guy and deserves to be happy and I want him to be but there's not too much i can do. He's just a sweet guy and is very loving but I know I can't be with him. I've never felt like this with a guy outside of online relationships, and the fact that he's straight just makes it worse. Any advice on the situation?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your feelings are real, but crushes are often about idolizing people. Try to remember that the good qualities of this guy are not unique to him. You might suggest to him options to get help, but be careful about getting too close if that causes your crush on him to get worse. You may need some time and distance from him (including not following his updates on social media).