1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Countries

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Aquilo

:icon_bigg I like this too about Europe.

I don't think most guys in Europe do much/any effort to keep fit, it's just a nice side-effect of our diet. (less sodas/sugar in our food etc.)

2. hazza

I have lived in Perth my whole life and I've never had much sense of belonging here. I want to move somewhere with more culture and history, a greater gastronomic and bar scene and a bigger gay community. Basically, I'm bored of Perth and I just feel like my life is beginning to stagnate here, which is why I'm planning to move overseas.

When it comes to Australia, I REALLY like Melbourne, but it is just too isolated for me to live in - if it was in Europe I would move there in a heartbeat. Anywhere in Australia is too isolated for me personally. As for the politics here, I'm not very involved at all.

I'm beginning to plan a permanent move to Europe early next year by May at the latest as for the past five or so years, it has been the only place in my mind where I could see myself having my life. I am very fortunate to be of Scottish heritage (my mother was born in Glasgow) which entitles me to a UK and hence, EU passport. I see myself initially moving to the UK first as at least there I have pretty much all of my family (only my parents, my grandparents and my sister and I are in Australia). I guess I want to move to the UK because I feel I have much more of a connection and feel I can associate more with there than Australia, even though it is my country of birth.

I can relate to to that quite a bit.

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Nah, this transcends class lines. The guys I was studying with in Europe were all middle-class or even upper-class American university students. The amateur psychologist in me had some interesting observations based on their reactions to the European norm for men. For them it was clearly a conscious decision for example not to keep themselves too thin or wear tight-fitting designer label clothing or carry a handbag. All of these things were routinely mocked about European men. Basically, Europeans are gay, in the American mind. There were American students with me who had way more money than I do yet they walked around dressed embarrassingly badly. (And immediately stood out as American, whereas I was able to 'pass' as a European.)

You can certainly find European-style metrosexuals in parts of New York City and other cosmopolitan big cities, but it's definitely not the norm in the U.S., especially not in parts of the South or rural Midwest. In East Coast/West Coast cities like NYC or San Francisco, you can find plenty of European-looking guys, though they are either straight guys mocked as "metrosexuals" or are just plain ol' homosexual.

But really, you don't need to have a lot of money in order to dress well. Anyone who says that as an excuse needs to go with me to the mall. No matter what your budget, I guarantee you I will find you a fabulous outfit that you could afford. :slight_smile:

You don't need designer labels; at discount fast fashion outlets like H&M and Zara, you can get some great European-style fashion at really affordable prices. But there's a reason why any time I walk into one of those stores while in America I feel like I just walked into a gay bar. (I remember walking into H&M not too long ago and immediately heard a loud voice saying "That was Alaska's crown!", one very flamboyant gay guy talking to his (boy)friend about Ru Paul's Drag Race, and I felt at home :grin:) Straight, non-metrosexual guys would rather just let their wives and girlfriends buy them more "masculine" sports clothing at WalMart rather than invest any time into developing a unique and fashionable look for themselves.

Haha yeah I am definitely jealous of Europeans, all the cute guys seem to be European. I thought I got lucky a few weeks ago when I met this really cute guy on an app who was listed pretty close to me, and it turned out he was a Dutch guy only visiting NYC for just a few weeks. :bang:

The last time I was outside the U.S., I lost a fair amount of weight. I was at a normal weight before I left and when I came back people thought I had developed anorexia. This was in Moscow, Russia actually, where the Muscovite youth definitely try very hard to pass as Europeans themselves. And basically nobody actually works out or diets or anything, everyone is just thin. I didn't work out or diet or anything once during the two months I was there, I ate and drank heavily, but somehow lost weight. Must be something in the water...

4. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    I live in the united states. I am fortunately in a place where there isnt a ridiculous amount of discrimination, so i can say that I enjoy my life generally, but I am starting to hate America more and more as i get older. Politicians and ignorant people running the government, telling people whats "fair" and what isnt just make me sick to my stomach.

I would definitely move to Japan. I Realize it has its own social inequality problems (esp. objectification of women --- its similar in america actually, but on a different scale) but i am truly a fan of the culture. I'm not looking for a "perfect" place, just a place that i can enjoy to the point that its flaws are not the most important things ever (like they are becoming in america)

5. AmityRanch

I've lived in the US for all of my life, and so far I kinda like it here.

I really appreciate the fact 80% of schools don't require uniforms, and that military conscription hasn't been a thing since the 70s, so that's pretty great.