1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you be both a bad writer and a good writer at the same time?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by FuelsMySong, Apr 20, 2017.

1. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Teachers in high school and elementary school always praised my writing. Usually short stories or poems, sometimes papers. However, in university, my research papers get piss poor marks, I even failed one once. But also in university, I wrote for the school blog (mainly about social justice issues) and my supervisor for that job seemed pretty happy with my articles although they have not been released yet. so i guess my question is does getting bad grades on writing assignments mean you're a bad writer? I have been told I have a talent for writing but my marks don't really reflect it. Could it have to do with the medium as well? For example, I may be good at writing short stories but poor at writing scientific research papers. I just think of different artists like are good photographers also usually good at drawing? What do you think?

2. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi FuelsMySong:

I agree with you - I think you can be both good and bad depending on the type of writing required. Short stories and poems are a far cry from the rather rigid format and language of scientific research papers.

If you're looking to improve your marks on your writing assignments, some schools have a writing centre or hold workshops on the subject where you can get constructive criticism on your papers and potentially learn some new skills that will help things along. If those things are not available, it might be a good idea to bite the bullet and go to see your prof(s) and ask for specific information on exactly where things are not going well in your papers and what you can do to improve.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

3. gaynonsense

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I mean, in my experiences it really depends what you're writing. If the topic is something you're passionate about or if the type of writing is something you enjoy, you're much more likely to be good at it. Likewise, if you don't like the topic or style, it's going to be harder to write something good. For me, I like essays and stories, but hate poetry; I can crank out essays all of the time, but a poem takes a lot of effort for sub-par quality.

Another thing to remember, Stephen King had to publish under many, many different fake names because he was seen as a terrible writer in the publishing community. Today, many of his works are highly praised and he has multiple movies focusing on some of his stories. It is very possible for someone to view good work as bad under their own bias.