1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Cory Monteith found dead in hotel in Canada

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They probably will write his death into it. If I recall correctly, the producers of 8 Simple Rules did this and it ended up with a warm, touchy episode. I haven't kept up with Glee but I hope to watch the next few episodes as well as getting up to speed.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was confirmed by autopsy today that he died of a combination of heroin and alcohol.

A flower memorial is accumulating in front of the hotel where he died.

Very sad indeed...

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm honestly saddened especially by which he died.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a problem. In reading the homepage article, Westboro Baptist plans to be there. I wonder if the funeral is in Canada and if there is anything that differs in Canada which can prevent Westboro from showing up. The grounds on which they feel they need to attend are sickening, as can be expected.

5. castle walls

When I first heard of Cory Monteith's death, I thought it was one of those hoaxes. It seems like every popular celebrity "dies" at least once every five years. When I learned it was actually true, I was shocked. It is always sad to see a talented young man die. My thoughts are with Cory's friends, family, and cast mates especially Lea Michele. I can't even imagine how difficult this must be for her.

I believe that the WBC is banned from entering Canada. At least, I know that they've been banned in the past.

Not only do they plan on protesting the funeral, the church also tweeted the cast members including Lea Michele and told them that Cory is burning in hell and other cruel comments. The WBC aside this is still a horrible situation

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On what grounds does the WBC want to protest Cory's funeral? Their actions are getting really out of hand now. Can they like burn in hell for their thoughts and actions.

7. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

Following Christian religion...suicide does lead to hell.

~~~~~~~~

His death is sad, but not tragic. He did that to himself. He overdosed. That's not tragic, it's stupid.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WBC doesn't need grounds. They always twist whatever that person did to use as a vehicle for their hatred. My guess is that they'll say he acted in a show that promoted "fags" in a positive way or some crap like that.

The good news is... unlike the US, Canada has laws prohibiting hate speech, and if they're stupid enough to protest in Canada (which they probably won't), then they could be arrested. My guess is they'll protest at a memorial or something held in the US.

When, oh when will the media and people realize that WBC is simply a cult of personality for its founder, not based on any sound doctrine, and simply about hatred? If they simply stop giving them publicity, and people simply ignore them when they show up, they will lose all of their power and clout.

As for Cory... I read an article that he basically led two lives: one, in LA, where he was completely clean, and by all accounts, never showed up late, hungover, or under the influence for work; and another life in Vancouver, where whenever he visited, he hung out with his loser, addict friends, and did whatever they were doing.

One of the very first rules they teach you when you are in rehab and/or AA is, once you become sober, you simply cannot ever hang out with your former friends who are using. An enormous portion of the deaths that occur due to relapses can be traced directly to one or more bad decisions to hang out with old friends. The recent post here "just because he breathes" was one of those cases: the mother who wrote it talked about how her son had been sober 10 months from a serious heroin problem, and stupidly went out with his old (using) friends to see a movie. He ended up shooting heroin for the first time in 10 months... and died of an overdose that night.

I have compassion for people that struggle with addiction, but I also believe that people have to take responsibility and realize that they must work on sobriety every single day.

9. Emberstone

its so weird hearing everyone talk about someone who died to shared your first name. all my friends are talking about it. saturday was a mixed bag of a day, with zimmerman getting a get-out-of-jail free card, jk rowling was revealed to have published a new book under a nom de plume, and then Cory was found dead.

I expected it to either be a complication of his past drug abuse, or caused by a relapse into current drug abuse. it is sad no matter what, and in part we need to realize just how much the stimgmatisation of addiction happens in society, that sometimes, we are apt to blame victims of it. the reality is that addiction can and does lead to a point where a person is in far less control than you would think, and heroin is one of the drugs that gets you past that point fairly quick.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is an accidental overdose or drug use a suicide? That's one question. Sometimes, its use doesn't lead to death. And, then, in another instance, it might.

Christian religions do not agree on the quality of the afterlife after a suicide. It's often contingent on the emotional and mental state, and a whole host of things. Their opinions on this topic are as all over the board as the denominations themselves.

11. castle walls

They are protesting his funeral because they believe that he is a "fag enabler" and he had premarital sex with Lea Michele. This is based on what I read from their twitter page. They may have additional reasons though

EDIT:
    According to this article, the coroner report says:
    I believe that is the most recent information. The investigation is ongoing

#51 castle walls, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is, using alcohol and opiates is *extremely* dangerous because the effect of one multiplies the other. The problem is that, mixed together, alcohol + opiates can, in surprisingly small doses, stop respiration entirely.

It seems pretty certain that this was an accident. By all accounts, he was in a great mood, making plans for the future, looking forward to his marriage, and everything else. How he didn't understand, having been a serious addict for 6+ years, that mixing alcohol and heroin was a combination with a high risk of lethal effects, I have no idea, since that's pretty common knowledge.

If there's a silver lining, it is that he was very open about his addiction, didn't try to hide it when he went to rehab, and talked about it afterward, which encouraged and inspired others. I read an article that calls to treatment centers from addicts, particularly younger ones, are up dramatically since his death. If his story, and his experience, is enough to encourage others in need of help to finally get it, then at least his last act had meaning that will be able to help others.