1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping with not being able to go on hrt due to health conditions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by VeetotheX, May 3, 2020.

1. VeetotheX

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everybody! I've posted here a few times in the past 9 months. I saw an endocrinologist for the first time in January, but more information is coming up now and I need some advice.

So there is a history in my family of ehlers-danlos and other connective tissue disorders, specifically affecting the cardiovascular system. 1/3 of my mom's siblings have had arterial dissections, one of them as young as 24. Because of this, my endo wanted me to go to the cardiologist and genetecist. Cardio came up fine, but genetics had to be done over the web because of COVID. I don't show any symptoms, but the geneticist explained that it would be really costly to do genetic testing since so many genes can cause these disorders, and a negative result wouldn't rule out anything.

To actually get a proper result I'd have to wait for a diagnosed family member to do testing, then get tested for their specific gene. The point is, I'm probably going to have to wait a long period of time for this testing, and at the end of it I might not be able to be on hrt due to health conditions. I'm 20 and I've seen myself get so much more masculine in the past couple years and I know it's just going to keep happening as I get older.

I know this is a long shot, but does anybody have advice on how to deal with the possibility of not being able to go on hrt? Looking for coping help, not advice on how to get unsupervised hrt.

2. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you’re unable to undergo a medical transition, socially transitioning is always your best option.
    Completely lose your old self for the woman you both(the old and She) you are.

I know that’s probably not what you’re wanting to hear, but it’s the best piece of advice I can offer up. Socially transition.
    Grow your hair out, start wearing women’s clothing, undergo a name change(either socially or full on legal name change).
    Not being able to get onto hormones doesn’t diminish how trans you are as compared to someone who is. No two peoples transitions are going to be exactly the same, I know some T-Girls who never chose to go on hormones(one she has grandchildren, and the other she’s more gender fluid).

Yes, you may bee excited to go onto hormones, but in the time being(if you’re not already doing it) present as whom you know you are. Focus on the now, that you can be her and that she is here. Trying your best not to dwell on the uncertainty of the future, it’s always in flux. Once you’re able to get tested, you may very well find you’re able to get onto hormones. All I can say is hold your head up high. Damn those torpedoes and continue on full sail ahead!

BradThePug and VeetotheX like this.