1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant panic--off of meds

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by FrereApothicair, Jul 21, 2016.

1. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Due to some truly terrible side-effects, my psychiatrist has taken me off of my anxiety meds. I've been off for about two months, and on an antidepressant instead--because my doc thinks my main issue is chronic depression with anxious distress. However, since I've gotten off of the other set of meds, I've been far more stressed out and, for the past two weeks at least, I've been in a near-constant state of physical panic. Like, there's nothing to be stressed about, and I know that, and I use all my CBT and meditation and mindfulness and exercise (etc. etc. etc.) skills, but nothing is calming down what is, at this point, and constant panic attack. My heart is racing, my stomach is in knots, I'm constantly on the verge of tears--all that good stuff. My therapist says I should just try to get through it, and tell myself, "it's okay, it's just a bodily response, it's temporary," but right now, it's NOT temporary. I can't breathe. I can't sleep. I can't go out, because I'm constantly freaked out (and I can't very well wear my binder when I'm hyperventilating). I don't know what to do. My doc seems resistant to putting me on another anxiety medication (which I understand, to some degree, since my side-effects mean I can't be on ANY SSRIs at this point, and SSRIs are what were working), but nothing is working anymore, and I'm SO TIRED. What do I do? How do I function like this? It's worse than it was before I got medicated in the first place--and then, I was actively and consistently suicidal. I'm afraid I'm going to get to that point again. I'm scared and hopeless. :help: