Conscientious Objection

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm legally barred from entering Finland when I turn 18 until the end of what would have been my conscription period, even with the government's approval for overseas study, or else it'd be taken as a lie that I'd be unable to serve.

It's barbaric.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 06:20 AM ----------

So instead of improving education inequality, we throw all the poor students into the army against their will?

What a lovely society you propose.

2. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    While schools or parents may have some difficulty raising children, just how exactly is the military able to do a better job? As far as I know their purpose is defense/war, is it not?

Discipline may result from military training, no doubt, but at what cost (money, time, psychological issues)?

Don't you think pedagogists/psychologists/teachers who have actual training on educating people will do a better job than people who have been trained to fight/kill/defend/whatever?

There's a reason fields such as pedagogy or psychology exist. While the military-like one-way though-love approach will work for some people other minds may not be able to handle it.

I am talking about the right tool for the job!

Also, as I said in an earlier post I was forced into military service for a short while so I did not make that quote up.

edit: we're talking about young students, no experienced soldiers nor even adults for christs sake. Most of them still live with their parents and they're forcibly taken away from their home, their family, all their friends and thrown into miltary service for some tough love - that doesn't sound like a very smart move to me.

#42 Pleione, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  3. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, the only way you can get waived from having to register is if you have a physical or mental disability. I read the SS website.