1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conflict between my sexuality and the Bible

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Aletheia, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Aletheia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m scared, don’t know what to do, and just want the truth. I’m conflicted on whether or not to accept myself as Bisexual because of what the Bible says about it... I have tried to suppress and change the fact that I’m attracted to guys since I was really young, and have come to a point where It’s hurting me and I want to find the truth. My dilemma is that I worry that If i accept myself as Bi and Christianity is true that I will go to hell, and be forever rejected by God.
    On the other hand I worry that if I don’t accept myself and Christianity is false that I will live a miserable, fake, wasted life.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was raised southern baptist and programmed to believe all of that also. I decided that there was no superior or supreme being out there after really examining the world. There are people who will argue that the bible does not actually say anything against same sex relations. I no longer care what it says and I just live a life as a decent person because for me that is all that matters.

BiGemini87 and Aletheia like this.
  3. Aletheia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your response. What aspects of the world are the most compelling for you to not believe in a god?

4. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Diseases, birth defects, plagues, natural disasters that kill hundreds of thousands. If there is a being out there it either does not care about how the planet runs or suffers or it is powerless. I know that there is religious sophistry that claims it is all one woman's fault but if human parents took such poor care of their own children they would have their children taken away from them. I have never heard an argument/explanation from any religious person that made me feel that their "god" was acceptable to me. They are all narcissistic psychopaths. I am an apatheist - which means that I do not care if there is a "god". If I am wrong and I am confronted by some being after I die I will simply ask the way to hell because I am certain that I do not want to spend any time (let alone an eternity) with the "god" that my parents raised me with. There is also the fact that I have actually died (no heartbeat, no breathing, my body was cold and blue), all I experienced was peace and darkness (it was great actually), no judgement no voice no light.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Read Matthew Vines' "God and the Gay Christian." He's a knowledgeable (gay) Biblical scholar whose work has caused a number of pretty high up priests and ministers in a number of Christian religious sects to rethink their condemnation. Basically, anyone who can use critical thinking skills and is willing to consider that what they have known is not the only way to look at things can learn something from Vines' work. The only folks who don't acknowledge his work are the most ignorant and pigheaded ones that aren't interested in critical thinking.

He's also got a number of videos on Youtube.

I absolutely believe that one can be Christian and gay, and they aren't incompatible. The MCC, many Presbyterian churches, and quite a few others are very welcoming and fully accepting of gay church members. So you don't have to give up your belief in God (if that's something that's important to you) in order to embrace being gay, and to be embraced.

Aletheia, BiGemini87 and Lemony like this.
  6. Aletheia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, thanks for the response and reference. I saw his debate with Michael Brown a few months ago and thought He made some interesting points. I’m going to see about getting his book soon.