1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Concealed Guns Allowed At Jerry Falwell Liberty University

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Open Arms, Dec 10, 2015.

1. CyclingFan

since we are talking about a single weapon, I'm not sure how the rate of fire matters.

All of that constant, more available rounds means a more leathal weapon. This is nearly a tautology, not sure what you're getting at here?

2. ConfusedSurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Then all that matters is magazine capacity. Personally, if there is no significant differences in lethality between a hand gun and a rifle I am in favor of keeping both.

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some mass shootings have been done with a 22lr or a shotgun. I think all the talk about the number of rounds a magazine holds or how lethal a particular round might be is missing the big picture. A sheep doesn't care about the wolfs teeth size, and a fish in a barrel doesn't care about what it's being shot with.

I've read similar comments from survivors in the link below on almost every mass shooting.

Shooting 'seemed like it was forever'

"I was under the table with some of the staff and we just kind of held on to each other."

People throughout the room went diving under tables set up for the holiday meal, Raymundo said. Police said Farook and Malik fired 65 to 75 rounds.

"It seemed like it was forever," Raymundo said. "And all I could think of was, 'Why doesn't he stop? Why does he keep shooting?'"

The answer is the same with almost all mass shooters that cause a lot of deaths and injuries. They keep shooting simply because they can. It's because either no one is stopping them or they're not stopping themselves.

4. CyclingFan

Utterly confused about the point you're making here.

5. MetalRice

Ugh.. guns are a fucking cancer.

6. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I finally got the chance to see the skit, and I agree, total nonsense. In most CCW classes that guy would've been kicked out before he ever got to the range for the way he was acting at the beginning. The stupid things that he said and did he could've easily done without any training or license at all. In the end training and licensing for gun use is like anything else, it just teaches people the law and what they should do. Anybody can choose to ignore it and pay the consequences, just like instruction in anything else.

The people giving the classes probably thought allowing a supposed member of the media film the classes would reinforce what they're trying to say, and didn't realize the goal of the production. The goal was basically to reinforce the point at the end, about how if the US keeps criminals from getting guns they won't have to spend time and money to stop them in the first place. The problem is that would require a total ban for everyone on guns, not just AR's or semi autos or high cap magazines or closing the so called gun show loophole. With all the guns and ammunition in the US, I haven't seen anyone on here offer any ideas on how a total gun ban could realistically be implemented currently. Some people think guns are a cancer. If that is so, cancer can't be cured by just ignoring it. So how do you cure the disease?

#46 sldanlm, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  7. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is even less statistically significant? The number of people killed a year by guns in the US. It only affects what, like 0.000857% of the population, and most of those are suicide? So at the end of the day, I'm not quite sure why folks are so afraid.

I recall someone saying in another thread that people are toting guns because of the boogie man, while I would agree in most cases, I also think folks that are afraid of people legally carrying fall into the same paranoid state of mind.

Disclaimer: I didn't actually pull any statistics, just used rough numbers of 350 million people and 30,000 deaths per year by gun.

8. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Oh my goodness! 30,000 deaths PER YEAR by guns is not significant to you? This is exactly why the USA has a gun problem. That's A LOT of people, PLUS all of the family members and friends who loved these deceased persons and are affected by their loss.

In Canada right now we are mourning the senseless shootings of two innocent cornerstore clerks gunned down in two robberies in Edmonton. We're wondering "How in the world did they get guns after being banned from owning guns? How can we stop this in future? We need to have tougher gun laws." These are the conversations I've been hearing. All of this agonizing over 2 gun deaths. Just 2, but 2 is too many you see.

The majority of people I know want no guns allowed whatsoever except for policemen, farmers and hunters. If you want to go to a gun range, rent a gun there.

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Easy.

They get them from the other side of the border where the laws are more persmissive/nonexistant.

10. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of the many, many reasons I want to move to Canada... People here seem to be completely numb to shootings, especially since they happen once a week or whatever. And apparently nothing will ever be done to fix the problem, so I might as well just get out before I become another "meaningless statistic".

11. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've read somewhere that 20 thousand of those 30 thousand deaths were suicide. Of the remaining ten thousand, most of those were from handguns. The number of people that die in the US every year is approx. 2.5 million. I think the key word is "significant." Saying a million people in the US die each year from heart attacks and strokes, or 35 thousand from auto accidents, a half million from cancer, is not going to matter to someone who either is or knows someone who is a victim of crime. I know the chances of being the victim of a crime, whether one on one or a mass shooter, is extremely low, so it's not something I'm paranoid about. If it happens to me personally though, I won't be very comforted by statistics.

Another issue with gun crime and statistics is reporting. If for example 25 people in Chicago are killed over a weekend, maybe every weekend, it's only local news. If half that number are killed in a mass shooting somewhere, the coverage is nationwide, lasts for weeks, and the gun control debate is more active.

Hillary Clinton said “Guns (plural) in and of themselves will not make Americans (plural) safer,” and I totally agree with that. That's not the same thing as saying individual people in specific circumstances aren't safer with a gun than without one. Obviously if someone could make all guns in the US magically disappear there wouldn't be any shootings, (at least until someone builds more) but I don't know how that is going to happen anytime soon.

#51 sldanlm, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  12. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well Kansas just let guns on their college campuses statewide so......

13. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can the individual colleges opt out by putting up a no guns sign?