1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Communication

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Jaimequestions, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Jaimequestions

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all. I just have a simple question. There is a friend I went to high school with, we had 2 classes together, pretty much Facebook friends, and one day I was scrolling through FB and I saw a man kissing another man and I thought it was cute, turns out it was my friend who married his husband. He has 2 kids from a previous marriage. Would it be awkward to message him and ask how he realized he was gay, as I am still questioning?

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jaime.....My experience is that, if he is married to a man and has a Facebook page showing that, then I doubt that he will find a message from you on that topic awkward. As a retired teacher I have run into former students who are now out and married who don't mind questions about how they meet their mate, etc. The only surprise/awkward moment was when they found out that I am gay! I don't think he will mind at all...go for it! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Been down that road

4. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it depends on how much (or how little) you two interact; but even if it's seldom, I don't think it would be weird. In fact, it might give you two a chance to rekindle some of your friendship a bit, even if only in this respect. I'm sure, whether he had help in reaching this understanding about himself or not, he'll welcome the opportunity to help someone through their own struggles.

5. dch

dch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would also agree that it's probably fine to message him. I was kind of in a similar situation recently with a former coworker from five years ago who is gay. I hadn't really talked to him since then, but we've been friends on Facebook the whole time. We started talking again recently, and he has been quite willing to share his experiences and listen to me talk about what I've been going through. In my experience at least, I feel like the gay (and bi) people I've talked to over the years are usually more than willing to talk openly to others who might be questioning their orientation.

6. Lo The Froggo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it would be find to message him, he posted the photo online so he seems out. I think it would be good for you to talk about your experiences. I don't think that it matters if you are questioning, it's okay to be curious.