1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common Ground

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by carrie90, Jun 16, 2009.

1. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    ok i watched this film yesterday called common ground and it was about three generations of gay/lesbian people living in a fictional town of homer conneticut and it is showing how attitudes to homosexuality changed, It started out with a woman in 1954 thrown out of the navy for homosexual conduct and then went to 1974 with a teenager being bullied for being gay and then it was set it present day with two men getting married.

This film really spoke to me for some reason far more than any other ive seen (maybe tied with prayers for bobby) So i just wanted to know has anybody else seen it or has anybody else got a film that has really touched them like this one did for me.

Also at the end of the film one of the grooms thanks all those gay people in the 40s/50s that sacrificed thier freedom and everything to fight for equality and the rights we have now that made me think do we ever really think about and appreciate all those things that those people did for the rights and freedom we have now, yes it isnt perfect but it sure is better.

2. Just Adam

i agree its better now still lots to do though but i appreciate anyone who suffered in the past for the future generation...

the first film i think of when you as is MILK it made me teary at the end a sad film that highlights the the sorrow with its gentle humour

last night i watched philadelphia tom hanks a gay man dieing of aids who takes his Ex bosses to court for unfair dissmisal because of his illness, it deals with illness love loss bigotry and the abbility to grow and accept people that you didnt know and that society taught you to not like.... tom hanks and denzel washington are fantastic in it. :slight_smile: