1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming to terms with sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Silvermoon55, Jul 3, 2023.

1. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello

I’m new here. I’ve made one other post. I’m really afraid of being judged but I hope online is safe to put it out there. I was married to a man for 26 years. Before that I tried coming out as a lesbian but was not believed. The therapist I was seeing seemed to think I was asexual instead. She didn’t use that term, but she talked to me about my relationship with my late husband. She said she knew couples who didn’t have sex because their relationship wasn’t about f***ing. So she saw me as straight but without much or maybe any sexual desire.

This is the part where I’m afraid of judgement. My husband and I had an almost entirely sexless marriage and we weren’t physically demonstrative for the most part. He was my best friend and I loved him a lot but that did not include romantically or sexually. We both thought that because of my child sexual abuse history (by presumably straight boys/men) that I was just not comfortable having sex. But as time went on and I dealt with those issues in therapy it didn’t get any better.

I thought I was asexual for a long time because I felt that explained how I could love my husband and not be interested in sex. However I have now allowed myself to reexperience the desire for women I experienced when I was much younger before I met my husband. I now identify as lesbian.

He never confronted me about all this because as I said we both thought the problem came from abuse. He dealt with illness his whole life. The last nine years of our marriage he started to decline. At that point he had cancer. He beat the cancer but wasn’t the same afterwards. From there it was one thing after another until he was sick all the time. Much of it was cardiac disease but he had other serious problems. He was 13 years older than I am. As he got sicker the relationship became more about dealing with his illness. He was able to be at home but died in the hospital after spending a week there.

For a long time I have had the belief/image in my head that if I survived him I wanted to have another relationship if possible and I wanted it to be with a woman. I’ve had that thought for so many years I can’t even remember when it first occurred to me. Now I believe that if I were asexual that would be fine but I’m attracted to women.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey it sounds as though you have had a lot to deal with in your life. Hopefully the next chapter can be one of exploration and you can find happiness in a different way with a woman in your future.

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  3. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks I appreciate it

4. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh wow. I’m so sorry for all that has happened to you. That must have been so confusing! I’m also really annoyed for your sake at your therapist. She shouldn’t have been speaking for you or trying to label you as something you’re not. It makes me so angry when women who are not straight are just assumed to be asexual and not be interested in sex just because they aren’t into it with men. Often it’s this disbelief in women’s homosexuality that sets women back years in terms of self-discovery and acceptance. I’m really glad that you finally feel able to feel the way you want to feel and examine your own feelings without the input of others.

mnguy and Silvermoon55 like this.
  5. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. As I said in another post I have a different therapist now. I’ve seen her for a long time and she’s great. I came out to her last week or the week before. I thought she’d be shocked. It turns out she knew all along meaning from the very beginning when I started seeing her a long time ago. She could tell from writing I did. But I have bipolar disorder and I had to get on the right doses of the right medications. That took seeing several psychiatrists and time. Now with the right meds and therapy I’m doing much better.

Has it really happened to other women that they are lesbian and were told/made to believe they were asexual instead? I thought it was just me.

AnxiousReader likes this.
  6. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the problem is we live in a very misogynistic society. Women are constantly told that their pleasure isn’t important and that “all women don’t enjoy sex with their (usually male) partners.” People don’t often take women’s sexuality seriously in general. So yes, I’m sadly not surprised that you faced this kind of prejudice. Have you heard of comp het? It’s something that impacts a lot of women.

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  7. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m very glad your current therapist is respecting you as well.

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  8. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello

I think I’ve heard of it. It’s the assumption that everyone is heterosexual and that’s just the way it is? And if someone isn’t that’s bad and wrong? Unfortunately I grew up Catholic in a devout family with parents who were active in the Church. I also attended Catholic school. I begged my parents to let me go to public school but they said no. They were/are (my father recently passed away and my mother is alive and well) politically liberal but socially fairly conservative. They were volunteers for Marriage Encounter. Obviously all straight marriages back then. The message I got is that’s how it should be.

9. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup that’s exactly it. I mainly just brought it up because you seemed likely to probably have experienced that based on your past. Honestly I think everyone does to some degree but some more than others. I actually saw a story once that sounded so much like yours on another forum. Same thing. The woman had been married and had a child and was raised Catholic and had been basically brainwashed to believe she was straight when she was actually attracted to women.

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  10. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad’s family is Catholic too so I have a tiny bit of experience with what that kind of life looks like. I myself am not religious though.

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  11. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That’s sad that the church did that to her. I stopped believing in college. Lack of interest in the Catholic Church was something my late husband and I had in common. He was raised Catholic, Catholic school etc, but he stopped believing in childhood. He was an atheist. We didn’t have kids due to illness.

I hope the woman found happiness.

12. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think she did. Last I saw she had accepted her sexuality and planned to just keep it private from her parents.

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  13. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope that finding this forum is also perhaps helping you too? I know it’s nice to have people to talk to on here. I’ve met plenty of nice people who have been very helpful.

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  14. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you thought about maybe going out with a woman? Maybe trying to meet up with other queer ladies in your area?

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  15. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes this forum is very helpful and I really appreciate your posts. I will be moving in about three weeks. I have found an LGBT center in the town where I’ll be living and they have Wednesday morning coffee meetings for people my age. I hope to make friends that way and find out about other activities.

mnguy and AnxiousReader like this.
  16. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That’s awesome! I hope you have luck meeting some great people there.

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  17. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you are doing quite well with getting ready to move and finding that group so this is awesome! Since you already had a ltr you have that experience with compromise and whatever to make it work so that should be good with women too. You sound very composed and matter of fact to go about this new change which is great and hope you keep that fire to keep pushing forward! You got this :slight_smile:

Silvermoon55 and AnxiousReader like this.
  18. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks ☺️

19. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good, I hope you meet a lot of wonderful people and make a lot of friends.. Who knows, maybe something great will happen there sometime? It would be wonderful if you met someone via there. Best of luck!

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  20. Melanie10229

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Can I ask did you ever feel desire to sleep with him or get turned on by doing stuff with him? Or was it always like this?