1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Solar Storms Could Be 20x Worse than Katrina

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Revan, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Emberstone

if this is true, everyone... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HOLD IN YOUR FARTS!!! we do not need to be adding fuel to the fire!!!

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    maybe we should set Lt. Dan up on a satellite to yell: "you call this a storm?!"

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes and according to NASA here: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2006/10mar_stormwarning/ They're saying the Solar Max could in fact happen this or next year, not 2012. PLUS the movie is based on solar flares yes, but it also talked about the solar flares causing a physical reaction and while our government isn't perfect, I highly doubt they're as big of losers as the one in 2012 where they didn't tell us about ANYTHING that was happening >_> Also if you look up solar storms and see the Fox News ones...just don't listen to them because that's Fox, they hype everything up about 100x more than it should -_-

And frankly I just think that this whole world ending thing is different now than many think. I have this slight feeling that really when people talk about the world ending, it might more mean their personal worlds ending if their worlds revolve around technology. But either way, we've dealt with this before in 1958, the only difference now is that we are more reliant on technology unfortunately. But the fact is we're going to have to live with this. We will still live on, it's just that we may have to go some time without technology.

4. Emberstone

most cultures with end of the world beliefs actually believe that the world begins and ends in a cycle. End of the world actually means 'end of the current world'.

This often simply means some sort of shift, or change in direction.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or that. All I know is while I personally don't know when I will die. I do hope it will simply be peacefully of old age. Not because of the world coming to and end when I'm only 24.

6. paco

paco Guest

well if this goes through 11 year cycles pretty regularly as it says, then i'm pretty sure i was alive for most of the last cycle of increased activity and i think i'd remember if the planet had been destroyed at any point during my childhood.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scary... =s

8. Connor22

so were entering another period of stronger solar activity.
    Just like the last one.
    And the one before that.
    and the one before that.
    that goes back to 1950 and we were pretty alright then so now that we are smarter and more advanced we can handle it right? I mean we know so much more about the sun than what we did years ago so like whats the big deal?

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually...another one like we're suppose to have soon hit in 1859...last I checked....we're still alive....

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But if we don't freak out and predict doom every few years then what else are we gonna do?

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too true. Actually interesting thing i found out about doom predictions. They generally are predicted every 4 years: 2000 (Y2K), 2004 (can't recall), 2008 (the Large Hadron Collider) and now 2012 (Mayans). It's quite amusing if you think about it that there's always a doomsday prediction every 4 years. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I wonder what the prediction will be for 2016....hmmmm.

12. ANightDude

But they didn't have real technology back then (Computer based), so who knows what's gonna happen with that.

13. Harve

This solar cycle probably isn't gonna be that bad, not that i know better than NASA haha. Hopefully/probably they'll be little activity from the sun for the next few years so global warming will be offset for a few years.

(how bad is it that i know background info to that?

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -_- Global warming is not all that frankly. If you did research you'd know the Earth does a global warming and global cooling trends. And we're in a global warming trend right now lol. So yeah all this stuff happening >_> it's not just because of us. Just saying.

15. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Qft.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Qft? Sorry I don't know what that means >_>

17. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Yeah, and if you actually did the research, which you obviously didn't, you would know it happens over tens of thousands of years. Now, what has happened has just happened over a span of ten years (the effects, not the actions.) I think there is a big difference between ten and ten thousand. Just saying.

Quit fucking talking / Quoted for truth

#37 Lady Gaga, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2010
  18. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Quoted for the truth

Hmm i beg to differ. I have done my research and that its slowly rising. BUT we are starting to get to the point where we are seeing things changing due to it combine that with too much knowledge and we have 'global warming'. Plus accurate recording of temperatures has only been done for the past 100 years or so, so we cant really say much!

19. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

No, temperature records go back thousands of years. Carbon/Methane/etc concenatration records are stored in the ice, which means there are records going back to when the ice caps began to form again. We have only been looking at the ice for the data for 100 years. Don't mix the two up.

I think, that naturally the Earth does go through cycles, and we are beginning to go into a warming one again. But greenhouse gases are accelerating it far beyond natural levels.

Saying "Oh, those gases that we release billions of tons daily into the atmosphere, proven to trap heat, are doing absolutely nothing." is just completely stupid.

20. paco

paco Guest

i seem to remember reading that the earths climate goes through a pretty radical change about every 10,000 years. and if you look back about 10,000 years, there was an ice age..which is ironically named because it was actually a period of time of rapid fluctuations of the earth's climate, not necessarily always cold. anyway, i guess we're due for another shift around now.