1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to teammates?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by the frizz, Apr 3, 2013.

1. the frizz

My girlfriend and I are both avid rugby players and have been playing for the same club over the past couple of years. The catch is that we've been secretly seeing each other for the last 6 months and present to our teammates as best friend, straight girls. Both of us are finding it increasingly difficult to hide how we feel about each other and maintain the charade.

A little background information: I've been playing for my club for over 5 years now, my girlfriend has been with the club for 2 years. During my time with the club, I've known a couple of gay (and out) teammates who have since come and gone. My team was very accepting of my former teammates. My issue is that I feel like they're going to react badly to our coming out. The former teammates were gay when they joined and still waving the rainbow flag when they left.

There are a few on my team who are very homophobic (pretty sure because they're dealing with their own sexual identity issues). They jokingly make fun of us, constantly making comments about the nature of our relationship without actually realizing just how right their comments are.

Does anyone else have experience with coming out to teammates? What's the best way to do it? Girls like to gossip and we feel like if we tell the wrong person, they'll let the entire team know before we get a chance to tell them ourselves.

2. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a situation in which I didn't come out, and still kind of wish I did. I spent a couple years playing hockey with the same group of guys and I never told any of them I was gay. Now some of them know and they never even mentioned it, I still play some pick up games with them and it has never been and issue.

Telling them as a group would likely be the best way, that way you know everyone is aware. It sounds like it won't be an issue for them, as you have had out teammates before.

3. the frizz

I honestly think they've suspected that I'm a lesbian for some time now. I feel like it's hard to admit it to them. I guess it's a little damaging to my sense of pride because I'm bothered that they figured it out before I did.