1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to sister.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 8pointhunter3, Sep 10, 2017.

1. 8pointhunter3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm planning on coming out to my little sister as a trans woman tomorrow. She's shown support for the LGBTQ+ community and trans individuals as a whole, and as of 2015 she knows I have been questioning my gender. I was supposed to have come out to her yesterday but I chickened out. Do y'all have any advice for coming out to her? How to handle the anxiety when trying to come out? Thank y'all in advance.

2. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    when ever you do this with your sister It will be the right time

I am sure you have thought about this for a while now.

Seems she will not too surprised by all of this with what you have said so far concerning this.

I am sure it will go fine.

3. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You need to just rip the band aid off. Just say it. Just come out and say it. You seem ready, and she seems accepting. I know it's scary, it's always scary. Tbh, I bet she suspects you're trans anyway. I know it's scary, but chances are you have nothing to be scared of. Just do it, my friend. I wish you all the luck.

4. Nelly1

Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ "Just rip the bandaid off" was a brilliant way of describing it. Depending on your sister, it may be a bit awkward for a moment, but it will be so worth it. I love that you're coming out to her personally, I think she'll really appreciate that and it will feel more heartfelt, you can't go wrong with plain ol' honesty.

My sister outed me as gay before even I knew I was(years prior she'd been calling me her 'little lesbian' - I'm very girly and prudish so I didn't understand, but somehow she knew). I do wish she'd been more sensitive about it, *sigh*, it was a public outing. My point is she might already have an idea, or it may not be much of a surprise or revelation. 2017 and all that :wink:

Just go for it, you don't need a fancy speech, any questions(i.e "how long have you known?") will come after, more naturally.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

5. loepis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I could give advice to myself: don't be afraid to be vulnerable. It is not a sign of weakness.
    And there are things that are out of your control. Stop worrying to much on those things :hugging:

#5 loepis, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017