Coming out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kawaiipotato1, Feb 10, 2017.

1. kawaiipotato1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to try to come out to my parents. I'm thinking of doing this at a resturant on my 13th birthday. As there will be my friends to help me if anything goes wrong. But I'm a bit frightened as a few months ago, I came out as genderfluid. And they say that I need to get therapy...Should I come out as pan, or stay in the closet?:bang::bang::bang:

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey kawaiipotato1,

First, you should only Come Out to someone else if you are comfortable doing so. Second, it's always your choice if/whether to Come Out to someone or not.

Having said that, if your parents were unaccepting of your genderfluidity, why would you want to Come Out to them as Pan at this point in time? Have you considered the potential positives and negatives involved with Coming Out as Pan to your parents versus staying in the closet?

Another consideration is whether you really want to Come Out to your parents in such a public environment as a restaurant. I understand that you think that having your friends there for support will be a plus for you, but what if your parents react badly?

Also, do you think it is a good idea to Come Out to your parents at your birthday party? If your parents react badly, it might ruin your party and your birthday in general. Plus, your parents are likely to always remember that you Came Out during your 13th birthday party. Is that likely to be a good thing or a bad thing for you in the longrun?

Just some things you might want to consider...:slight_smile: