1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my aunt?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Renegades, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So, my aunt emailed me out of the blue a few days ago. She lives in a different state, and we don't see each other very often. She asked me about what was happening with my life, and asked about dating. I explained a few of my past experiences with dating, and did not use any pronouns. Now I'm wondering if I should come out to her. Cause even if she doesn't accept me, it's not like she has a very big impact on my life. Thoughts?

2. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess there are two questions I'd ask:
    First, why do you want to come out to her? I get that you probably just want to be honest with everyone, I feel that way too a lot. However, if she's not a big impact in your life, to the point where you don't care about potentially loosing her, does it really matter if she knows? Are you hoping you'll get closer to her or something? Or is it just a desire to come clean, so to speak, and live honestly? Both are totally valid reasons, by the way. Just wanted to ask to make you think.
    Second, if you tell her, could she maybe tell someone else you don't want to know or you would prefer to tell yourself? You said she isn't a big impact on your life, so I assume you aren't close. Do you think you can trust her to keep this to herself? This is true regardless of how she would react, by the way. A loving, supportive aunt is just as capable of blabbing as a homophobic one. I, for example, haven't come out to my mom's sisters, because of this fear. I'm fairly certain they would be fine, or atleast wouldn't freek out. However, I'm worried they might tell my grandma, who I'm much less certain would be supportive. Don't know how applicable this is to you ofcourse. If your out to basically everyone you care about then this doesn't matter. Again, just something to think about.

3. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, after hitting post, I reread my first comment and relized it was kind of anti-come out. That's not really what I intended. Give thise two questions some thought, because they are valad points. However, if after doing that you still want to come out to her, I'd say go for it. Like you said, your not really close, so what's there to loose. Sorry if I'm sending mixed messages here. It's late, and I'm tierd.

#3 jam93, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if you feel like you want to then go for it. My only concern would be if there was a negative reaction, is there anyone she could tell that you wouldn't want to know?