Coming out to bff

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rachhtheunicorn, Oct 18, 2015.

1. rachhtheunicorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After doing some research I think I'm ready to cone out to my best friend. She's my the only friend i really have and I don't want to lose her. What do I do?

2. Annael

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    do you think she will be understanding? i'm all for you coming out to her (go you!!!) but make sure you're prepared with the possibility of losing her, especially if she has shown some homophobic tendencies in the past.

3. Sprinkles

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you have a particular interest in someone, and your friend isn't a flabber mouth, then tell her who you like, and ask her to keep it a secret. She'll have questions so be prepared to answer anything. Expect nothing, but prepare for everything.

#3 Sprinkles, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

If you don't know how she'd react and want to feel it out more first, you could bring up LGBT+ issues or show admiration for LGBT+ people etc. and see how she responds. You could drop hints if you want. It's ultimately up to you whether or not you feel comfortable doing so.
    And also, try to be prepared for different responses she may have if you don't really know how she'll react. Even if she is accepting, she might be a bit surprised hearing it from you (or not) or she may be kind of awkward and not know what to say. That doesn't necessarily mean she's not accepting, she could just not know how to respond in the moment. But just keep communication open about it, show her it's okay if she asks questions (if you're comfortable with that.) You could even explain to her how you reached that conclusion (especially if you feel she may think it's a choice), whatever you feel you need to express to her.

Good luck!!