1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out of the closet is hard to do!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Tangerine61, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Tangerine61

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, guys,

I am in my early 50s, recently divorced, and finally listening to my heart - except that I have no idea how to actually come out of the closet as a lesbian. I tried going on ********** and dating a lesbian - oh, that went really well. (Not!) I made about 47 social faux pas, found out she was really a trans with a double mastectomy with terminal cancer (how do I get myself into this?), and it went down hill from there. Yeah, I'm having a fine time. She broke up with me tonight, and after bawling my eyes out I decided to register for this online community.

I'm considering crawling back in the closet. Honestly, I haven't a clue what I'm doing.

So if you people can be kind to me and try to help me through this, I'll do my darndest to be supportive to you as you go through your stuff. I haven't a clue how to give good advice, but I'm a friendly person with basic intelligence, and in the normal part of my life I'm respected in my career. I can even drive a car and do basic math! It's just in this one area of my life that I'm slightly clueless.http://emptyclosets.com/forum/images/smilies2/icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you. Maybe here I'll feel more normal and like it's OK to be where I am.

2. GayNerd

Welcome to EC! (&&&)

Now, it may seem like you can't find anybody. But have you tried going to other places, like gay bars, LGBT Events, etc.? If not you should. There would be a chance that you could find somebody to go out with.

I hope this helps. :smilewave

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Tangerine61 and welcome to EC!

No one will learn how to skate without falling on their tush every now and then! Congratulate yourself on trying, and more significantly, on letting yourself be vulnerable, don't ever change that!

You can check out our Later in Life section for support that lines up a bit more with our generation (but great advice can be found everywhere here at EC and from any age, including GayNerd's above!)

4. biggayguy

Welcome from another very late bloomer. There are some great people here that support each other. I hope you enjoy it here.

5. campervankid

Hi, welcome to ec! :slight_smile: You must be going through a tough time right now but well done for staying strong, here is all my support squeezed into a virtual hug (*hug*). Ive come out pretty young and it was still very hard. I know that for me it always seem the longer you wait, the harder it is to follow your heart but at least you have decided to do so :slight_smile:

6. Tangerine61

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, guys. You're right - I am going to have to just pick myself up, dust myself off, and start over again. (That's from a song, isn't it?) I had myself a good cry last night, but staying home and crying doesn't accomplish much.

I do belong to a church-related LGBT advocacy group, which has been helpful. They're not very organized, though, so of course I'm going to end up being on the board - which might be fun and good for me. I'm good at projects and events, and while this might be a stretch for me (being pretty darned close to home), it might be good, too. Thanks, Gaynerd, for reminding me to hang out with people who are on this same journey as me. I'm not exactly the bar type, but I did join a lesbian group, and when I'm feeling pretty brave I go to the meetings. They are really friendly and that helps.

I will check out the Later in Life section. It would be helpful to talk to and hear from people in the same boat as me. I need to normalize this experience!

Thanks, guys. It is really nice to talk with you, and to hear your support. I'm very grateful.

---------- Post added 18th Nov 2013 at 02:49 PM ----------

Thank you, Campervankid, for your support and your hug. That is so very kind and I truly appreciate it. It's very humbling to have a teenager's support mean so very much. You are a role model to me, coming out at a young age and being so brave. I respect you enormously. Sending you a hug right back. :slight_smile:

7. campervankid

thanks :slight_smile: although im not fully out so I guess im not that brave. anyways, good luck and all that,
    I wish you the best (always wanted to say that but my sister says it makes me sound old) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#7 campervankid, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  8. toushirojaylee

Hi and welcome to EC!