1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out mid 20s.... Advice please!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chickadee123, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Chickadee123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone, I'm a 26 year old woman and am currently in my first lesbian relationship. I'm head over heels for this girl and really think we have a future together. I've moved away from home and don't get a chance to see my old friends and family very often and I haven't come out to any of them.
    I guess I'm needing a shove in the right direction. I'm dying to tell everyone at home about how happy I am and how amazing this girl is, but I just don't know how to tell people that I'm gay. As far as they know I'm into guys (which used to be true, well I guess I just hadn't quite worked out my sexuality yet).
    I would have to do it over Skype, so any suggestions on conversation starters would be appreciated.
    I need to do this for my girlfriend, as well as for myself. We haven't really talked about it yet, about telling my family. She is already out and her family are amazing and have made me feel totally welcome. I get the feeling that she knows I'm worried about telling my family, etc though.
    Anyways, I will stop rambling on, thanks in advance folks!

2. thekillingmoon

Imo it would be better to tell them in person, maybe even introduce your girlfriend to them. At least that's how I would want to come out to my family, over the phone or email seems kind of impersonal. As for conversation starters, you could say you met someone special and that person is a woman. They'll probably be shocked, but there's no way to avoid that.