1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in the work

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Darkviolet, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Darkviolet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I've been thinking about coming out in my work lately. I work in a telemarketing customer service with various types of people. Some are more open minded than others, but the circle of people that are around me (my coworkers per say) seems to be pretty open to it or at least don't give a shit. I've even been noticed that some already realized that I'm gay (some even have asked me once or twice). I start to be more relaxed around those people and even more confident, but I don't know if it's valuable to address this topic. I thought of given some tips like that I like that guy or something like it, but I feel the I'm not ready to confront their questions.

medamaude likes this.
  2. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I am older than you I assume I recently changed professional positions in a new firm and decided to come out immediately. I have been out for 2 years but never at work as I am somewhat of a private person and our office was not that social. Having come out at my new job has been great. I no longer have to play any role other than who I am. I don’t have to fake interest in comments about various women or their attributes.it is refreshing to be able to be who I am openly. I have a photo of my BF on my desk!

Mali Mali, quebec, smurf and 2 others like this.
  3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been out at work everywhere I've worked for at least twenty-five years. I've never had an issue. I've got a picture of my husband on my desk as well. I can't imagine trying to keep up the façade, to be honest.

Rade, Drizzle and Darkviolet like this.
  4. Darkviolet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, I never had to play any role, per say, but I wouldn't never touch in anything related to my sexuality and would mostly avoid anything related to it. While I know it's hard to overcome it my taaboos, I can say I shouldn't overreact anymore.

Thank yoy both for the answers

5. smurf

Are you out in your personal life?

I would personally start with close friends and family in case things go wrong, but if you feel safe at work then go for it.

Like said above, being out at work is fucking amazing. Not having to do hold yourself back at the place where you will spend a grand portion of your day is great.

6. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out at work, i did so slowly....I think you could do so the same. I started with the people i felt closest too. Then told a few more and before long most people seemed to know....I'm a different person at work now, the closed book is now very much open. I think I'm respected for my honesty.

7. confusedbubble

I came out about 3 years ago to a small group of people (all hand picked) including one who was the office gossip it's amazing how it got round.

The reaction has been brilliant I also work telecommunications it's amazing how free you feel after coming out.. I've worked for 19 years and this is the first place I've worked that I've come out

8. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It felt quite empowering everyone knowing. Where I work there are a few openly gay women BUT as far as I know I'm the only opening out guy. I'm more content at work, it's like some of my layers have been removed. I suppose more authentic.....

9. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out at work was a relief. I don’t have to pretend with comments about women. Single women aren’t interested in dating me, some of the guys are cool some stand offish. As far as I know I am the only gay guy. In the end I can be me.

10. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Know that feeling!! I find all the women are fine with me being gay but some of the guys don't know how to process me and are uncomfortable!! Perhaps due to their own insecurities or sexuality...

11. RissRaven

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say you should only come out if you feel comfortable doing so. If you feel safe around the people you work with and truly believe that they will accept you, then do so. Coming out to others can really help you grow a strong connection and bond with the people that you work with. At my work at least 1/2 of my co-workers are LGBT and it's great that I can joke about my sexuality or talk about it with the people that I see every day.

Rade likes this.
  12. Darkviolet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank y'all for the answers. I didn't expect this post to still be active, but I appreciate very much the help.

I still closet to my family, cause I know my parents have strong opinions on gay people (much came from their religious point of view) , and since I still living with them, I would prefer to be more independent to be out. Even though my brother has clearly stated he is bi, I still doesn't feel comfortable to talk with him about it (I don't know, but something feels really odd to talk about sexuality and stuff with him).

But my coworkers, I feel like I became more relaxed with them than with my family.

Since the post came out I still closeted, but sometimes I gave them some tips to test how people would react. It pretty much goes well and I think I wouldn't have a thing to worry about it.

Still, my shyness and awkwardness about sexuality talks are a problem I still have to deal with.

Hopefully I will prevail and finally be able to get this burden off my chest.